We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Scottish Highlands for 5 days

Modesto, California
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Scottish Highlands for 5 days

We are leaving Edinburgh and looking for a loop driving tour, going through Skye and back to Edinburgh. We will have 5 nights. Does anyone have suggestions on best way to plan a circle route? This is our first time to Scotland.

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Scottish Highlands for 5 days

Honestly I am not sure 5 nights is enough time to get from Edinburgh to Skye and back. Unless you want to spend all your time in a car. We are doing a loop starting in Edinburgh and ending in Invernss, with 7 night trip:

Edinburgh - 2 night

Oban - 1 night

Invergarry - 1 night

Inverness - 3 nights

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Scottish Highlands for 5 days

That's nonsense. It takes 5 hours to get to Skye from Edinburgh. Leave after breakfast and you can be there for afternoon tea.

We sometimes go for a long weekend

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,495 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Scottish Highlands for 5 days

Time of year Tspon? If you are coming in summer (April to early October) there is a short ferry crossing from Mallaig to Armadale which would take you over to Skye - you could then make an alternative route back over the Skye Bridge and back to Edinburgh that way.

calmac.co.uk/timetables/…

Basically I would envisage some sort of route up from Edinburgh crossing over to the west coast and up to Mallaig/Skye then back to the mainland returning via a more central route. We can get down to finer details in future posts.

Thegoodwitch (above) will be a great source of info for your journey.

Cheers

Woody x

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Scottish Highlands for 5 days

Overall timings, one day each way travelling and 3 days *on* Skye - that seems right to me. 6 hrs each way allowing a couple of breaks. Or longer if you spot places you want to stop at.

And , here we go, the best place to find nice places would be http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

Edited: 05 March 2013, 21:53
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Scottish Highlands for 5 days

Derek's right. 3 days on Skye will allow you to cover the island and see the best of it. I'm on Skye at the moment and I keep forgetting how big it is.

Travel up by the Mallaig ferry and return by the Skye Bridge. I'd try to pass through Glencoe. I lthink the south to north drive is slighly more awesome

6. Re: Itinerary Scottish Highlands for 5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 06:15