We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bealach na Bà Pass

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
82 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Bealach na Bà Pass

This may sound like a dumb question, but we will be in the Lochcarron area in September for 3 days (visiting from the US). We'd like to drive the Bealach na Bà, but after reading some other posts I'm getting a bit worried about the drive.

To give some perspective, we've driven through places like the Dunraven Pass in Yellowstone, and through many mountainous areas in the Southern US (Appalachian Mountains, Catskills, etc). Given the fact that we will have been driving around Scotland for about a week before we attempt this drive, do you think that we should go for it or skip it? Thanks so much for your help.

Laura

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bealach na Bà Pass

Go for it. Thousands of people do it. I'm quite a nervous driver and I do it whenever I'm up that way. Just take it slow. There are some Youtube clips of the drive -try googling

Inverness
Level Contributor
179 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bealach na Bà Pass

Go for it you will be fine!! My father used to drive a full size fire appliance over that hill!!! It is worth every minute and you cant go as far as Lochcarron without doing the drive!

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
82 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bealach na Bà Pass

Thanks for everyone's kind responses. I guess I was over-thinking this :)

I also want to thank you guys for all of your expertise and patience in answering questions - many times the same queries over and over. I've wanted to make this trip since I was a teenager (many, many years ago) and this forum has been a major help with planning our dream trip.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bealach na Bà Pass

Its a wonderful drive :) With a little care you should be fine, fingers crossed for good weather to fully appreciate the awesome views over to Skye! And do stop off at the Applecross Inn at the end of it, best scallops around!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bealach na Bà Pass

It's a great drive. If you drive up, make sure to take a wee break at the top the enjoy the stunning views back down. My advice would be to take your time, and let other drivers past if they are "up yer bum"!

Enjoy Scotland, and all it's wonderful sights :)

Abs

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
231 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bealach na Bà Pass

Would be a crying shame to be in the Loch Carron area and not do it. A wee stop at the Kishorn Seafood Bar is on the way and well worth it.

Edited: 07 March 2013, 20:28
Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
82 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bealach na Bà Pass

Okay, we are doing it! My husband (who will be driving) thought I was being paranoid anyway. So looking forward to our visit to your lovely country - 186 days and counting - not that I'm anxious or anything. Thanks again for everyone's help and guidance!

Best

Laura

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bealach na Bà Pass

Have a great trip! Let us know how you get on.

Abs :)

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
82 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bealach na Bà Pass

Abs,

I'm sure I'll be on here again, asking more question before September comes :)

Best,

Laura

Perth, Scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bealach na Bà Pass

Drove the Bealach na ba 4 days ago...it was fine, good fun really. I drove back over it after dinner at the applecross inn (must eat here...boy can they cook) and we stopped just after the bends to watch some rutting stags. You will adore it. Happy holiday!