We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland Itinerary Help

Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Topic
Scotland Itinerary Help

Hi, my wife and I will be traveling to Scotland in August with my brother and his wife. I have a rough itinerary of the places we will be visiting, and was curious if this seemed like a good number of nights in each place given the amount of drive time there will be. We are interested in scenery, some hiking, and pubs. We are open to removing a destination if it's not worth it as well, particularly the Cairngorms area, I haven't read much about that. Thoughts?

Arrive in Glasgow, rent car and drive to Glencoe for 2 nights

2 nights in Plockton, explore Skye

2 nights in Aviemore, explore area

3 nights in Edinburgh

Thanks for any help!

Matt

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help

Looks good. Have you seen this website which is great for hiking information for the whole of Scotland and also has links to local accommodation. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

In August you really must book in advance especially for Edinburgh (Festival mania) and Glencoe (limited accommodation provision in the area).

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help

There are less midges in the East (August is peak midge season). :) If you have a car, rather than Aviemore stay in Carrbridge, Boat of Garten, Nethy Bridge or Grantown on Spey etc for a bit more of a rural/scenic experience and prettier. Check them out on Google street view and see which you prefer.

For Glencoe the Clachaig is the pub of choice and they do accommodation too although I have never stayed there (usually hostel it or camp nearby).

Edited: 07 March 2013, 16:20
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help

walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/grantown-on-s…

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help

The Clachaig isn't 5* but has character. Full of uncouthy climbers if you time it well/badly.

Don't despair of accommodation - hotels and B&Bs in Glencoe village and Ballachulish.

Plockton's a great wee place - very scenic.

On leaving Plockton you can either head west and then towards Aviemore, or you can take the longer route via Applecross/Torridon, than then west ... Skye scenery is VG but so is Torridon.

Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help

Thanks guys for all the advice! Do you think 2 nights is enough in Plockton to explore Skye and the surrounding area, or do you think 3 nights would be better, and maybe one night in Carrbridge? Also, is the Whiskey Trail worth visiting?

Thanks all,

Matt

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help

You'll not see all of Skye in 2 nights, particularly as Plockton isn't on Skye and its going to take you a couple of hours to drive to the far end of the island. I'd think about a couple of nights somewhere like Portree or Sligachan and also a couple in Wester Ross. Plockton is lovely though and there are a couple of nice hotel/pubs.

I'm biased as I love the scenery in the north west and on Skye

cambs
Level Contributor
537 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help

im withthe good witch

id spend a night or 2 in skye then drive thru wester ross

kyle of lochalsh-plocton-loch carron-mountain pass road to applecross -coastroad to shieldaig (DO drive thru the village itself) then at torridon DO take the dead end road along the north bank of loch torridon to diabeg

then on to kinlochewe

spend less time in the aviemore area to compensate.....

Balfron, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help

Hi

In august you will have a great time there is no such thing in Scotland as bad weather only the wrong clothes.

We stayed in Plockton for a week last year as a base, Plockton is scenic and the 2 pubs have traditional folk music between them about 3 times a week. Although it is only a 6 mile drive to Skye the island is huge and will take you about 2 hours to get to Dunvegan Castle on the North West. The drive up to accross the Bealach na Bà (Pass of the Cattle) is stunning. Also make sure you go to Eilean Donan (the one from the film Highlander) Castle near Dornie about 10 miles south of Plockton.

We are about to go to Aviemore for Easter but I gather that it is very popular with families. This is hiking country but there is countless pages on activities to do here.

Edinburgh in August is mental as the festival is on and the city is bursting with people. Get tickets to the Tattoo at the Castle if you can get them. It can take a day alone to go up and down the Royal Mile from the Castle to Hollyrood Palace.

You will have a ball

David

9. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 04:15