We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Tours from Edinburgh

Winnipeg MB
2 posts
Save Topic
Day Tours from Edinburgh

My husband and I will be in Edinburgh in early May and would like to do some one-day tours from Edinburgh to explore other areas of Scotland. Scottish Tours & Highland Experience appear to be two different companies who advertise the exact same tours and many of the itineraries look appealing. However - I can only find a couple reviews of this tour company online and they weren't super great. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to whether these companies are reputable, or if there is another company offering one-day tours from Edinburgh (or should we just rent a car and go ourselves?). Thanks!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Tours from Edinburgh

Lots of place do bus tours but imho renting a car is a much better option - go where you want, when you want, stop where you want and when you see something interesting or want to take a photo - rather than letting someone else decide where you stop and where you go and what you see and do.

The problem with trying to see the Highlands in one day is that you will spend most of the time on the bus which is not my idea of fun (or most of the time in the car if renting, which is not that great for the driver perhaps, but at least you can stop where you want).

Best advice (if renting a car) is don't be too ambitious - you can drive to Loch Lomond in 90 minutes or Killin area in 2 hours and there is plenty to see and do around there without going much further north - although perhaps consider going as far as Rannoch Moor and Glencoe as once you get past Crianlarich the hills get bigger and the scenery more impressive - worth making an early start for and it stays light until around 9pm in early May.

Edited: 10 March 2013, 14:03
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,503 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Tours from Edinburgh

If you look at the Edinburgh forum you will find a number of threads on the subject

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Tours from Edinburgh

Search TA for references to RAbbies and Timberbush, the companies most often mentioned... small group day tours or longer, by minibus.

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Tours from Edinburgh

Unless you are very experienced at driving on the other side of the road, follow Derek's advice and book small group bus tours. The ones listed have well thought out itineraries and allow you a good amount of time off the bus. I have used Rabbies several times and been quite pleased with their trips.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Tours from Edinburgh

If you're comfortable driving I'd probably be inclined to do that. You can then stop off at will, and enjoy the wonderful scenery.

Winnipeg MB
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Tours from Edinburgh

Thanks everyone! Rabbie's and Timberbush appear to advertise the same trips as the other two companies so they must all sell the same tour. We are still debating on whether to rent a car or do the group bus trip - being from North America we are not sure if the left side driving will be hard to get used to or not...but thanks for the help!

7. Re: Day Tours from Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 06:16