We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

STILL UNDECIDED...Help! North of St. Andrews or South??

Newtown...
Level Contributor
69 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
STILL UNDECIDED...Help! North of St. Andrews or South??

OK...leaving in 3 weeks and I still don't know where we should spend the 2 days and 2 nights BETWEEN our 3 nights in St. Andrews (visiting our daughter at University) and 3 nights in Edinburgh...we don't want to drive the 5 hours it would take to get to Skye. Will have to do that next time.

Had planned to go north from St. Andrews and see Glamis and the "B" towns and StIirling and Dunottar and maybe Linlithgow Palace (not necessarily in that order, of course).

But wondering if this is as good an itinerary as going west to Loch Lomand or South to the towns below Edinburgh.

Please help! It's getting close and I am becoming tired of looking at the guidebooks and online!! Need a sign that one of these is the right choice! WOuld be grateful for any insights.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: STILL UNDECIDED...Help! North of St. Andrews or South??

Go North to Perthshire.

Dunkeld, Birnam, Pitlochry, Blair Atholl.

Quaint towns, beautiful scenery, some hills verging on mountains, wildlife. 1.5 hrs from Edinburgh.

What more do you need? :)

Edited: 12 March 2013, 08:38
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: STILL UNDECIDED...Help! North of St. Andrews or South??

Another vote for going north on the A9 - this gives you quick access to experience the grandeur of the mountains. It's only 2-3 hours up to Speyside and the Cairngorms. Very civilised hotels (avoid Aviemore - we have stayed various places but Corrour House at Coylumbridge is nice), beautiful scenery - and LOTS of distilleries!

Pitlochry is also a great stopping off point if you don't want to go too far - from there, you can pop up to Braemar/Ballater area, and pop in to say hi to the Queen at Balmoral. Again very scenic, if not as spectacular. We stayed at the Craigmhor Lodge in Pitlochry which was fab.

Enjoy your trip - sounds like you'll be a frequent visitor for a while.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: STILL UNDECIDED...Help! North of St. Andrews or South??

(Go West) Life is peaceful there (Go West) In the open air (Go West) Where the skies are blue (Go West) This is what we're gonna do.. (etc)

Loch Lomond via the Trossachs would be a bonny wee drive and you could stop in at Stirling Castle along the way. Loch Lomond: https:/…1

Perthshire is nice too (Dunkeld, Killieckankie Blair Atholl etc) but the A9 is a bit stressful and not as scenic as the Pet Shop Boys option. :)

Newtown...
Level Contributor
69 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: STILL UNDECIDED...Help! North of St. Andrews or South??

Thx! Any ideas if towns to stay in?

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: STILL UNDECIDED...Help! North of St. Andrews or South??

Okay. I go both ways. I love the area south of Edinburgh. The small towns of Melrose, Peebles and Innerelithen are all interesting and much less crowded than the Perthshire area. Great small hotel in Innerleithen called the Traquair Arms. Also, Traquair House is in Innerliethen and well worth a visit.

On the other hand, I also love Pitlochry and the Glen Lyon area. Both areas are well worth your time.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: STILL UNDECIDED...Help! North of St. Andrews or South??

>>Had planned to go north from St. Andrews and see Glamis and the "B" towns and StIirling and Dunottar and maybe Linlithgow Palace (not necessarily in that order, of course<<

The above would be my choice - thought we had it all sorted Eliza!! Not Loch Lomond over going north - PLEASE!

The area south of Edinburgh is just not as picturesque as Perthshire or Stonehaven via the B towns etc (IMHO!!). You have been warned ;-)))

W x

Newtown...
Level Contributor
69 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: STILL UNDECIDED...Help! North of St. Andrews or South??

Just sent you an email! Also, why not Loch Lomond?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: STILL UNDECIDED...Help! North of St. Andrews or South??

While you are in St. Andrews, be sure and visit the East Neuk of Fife - only a half hour drive from St. Andrews. Visit (in this order) Crail, Anstruther, Pittenweem, St. Monans (my favorite) and finally Elie. Or visit them on your way from Edinburgh to St. Andrews in the reverse order. Quaint fishing villages, nice pubs, friendly people, etc.

9. Re: STILL UNDECIDED...Help! North of St. Andrews or South??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 04:16