We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake District to Scotland

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
123 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Lake District to Scotland

Hi all

We are family of 3 - my wife and my 6 yr old daughter travelling first time to UK.

We have booked 2 nights in Keswick area of Lake District. Have 2 nights and nearly 3 days - in Scotland. Plan as of now

1. Drive from Keswick towards Loch Lomond via Gretna, Newton Stewart, Girvan, Greenock, Balluch - will this be a too ardous drive ? Also where should i stay overnight - Balluch or near to Loch Lomond.

2. Drive from Balluch/Loch Lomond via Stirling - see castle and reach Edinburgh by 3.00 pm. Drop the car off at Airport...check in the hotel....local site seing in Edinburgh...stay overnight on princess street edinburgh

3. Day 3 take a hop on hop off tour for local site seeing - leave by evening 5 or 6 by train to London

Would like advise on what is the best way to spend these 3 odd days. Also do not want to repeat some of the scenary already seen in Lake district in scotland

thanks in advance

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake District to Scotland

1. It will be a long drive. See www.viamichelin.com to get a rough idea. Any reason why you chose that route? For instance, wild horses wouldn't drag me into Gretna. Greenock isn't on everyone list of places to visit, either.

I would try to stay on Loch Lomondside. Balloch or nearby.

3. The scenery in Scotland is different to the Lake District.

Why not spend a night in Ayrshire, or around the Trossachs National Park, or in the Borders, or Fife? However there are loads of attractions in Edinburgh, so I don't think you'll be bored there either.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
123 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake District to Scotland

Thanks peterscot. What would be the best route to take to Edinburg that captures the beauty of Scotland country side?

I have two 2 and a half days between the time I leave keswick and return to london from edinburgh

I would like to visit a good castle ( stirling?), and local edinburgh site seing too

London
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake District to Scotland

Your proposed route to Loch Lomond is really really slow. The direct route, the M74 motorway to and through Glasgow, passes through beautiful countryside and is much quicker. Going directly up the M74 will give you much more time to explore around Loch Lomond.

Make sure you have a new map, showing the M74 extension across south Glasgow. I find sat nav systems, even on brand new rental cars, don't show this route.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
123 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake District to Scotland

Thanks rcspeirs

Was in double minds whether should I take the route suggested and reach edinburgh via sterling or take the borders route to reach edinburgh

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake District to Scotland

If you decide on going directly to Edinburgh, IMO the best route is the A701 going through Moffat, rather than the A7.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
123 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake District to Scotland

Friends which are the places/countryside we should definitely not miss enroute from keswick to edinburgh ? Also should we do castle at stirling or edinburgh castle - as due to paucity of time will have to do only one castle

7. Re: Lake District to Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 05:17