We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with fitnesses classes for pensioner!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel with fitnesses classes for pensioner!

My Mum would like to go to a hotel for a break that has a physiotherapist for decent massage, and some gentle exercise classes suitable for an elderly person (80's!!). She can't go into a pool. Is there any hotel anywhere that caters for the elderly? She may like a few beauty things like a facial but really wants an exercise program tailored to her.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with fitnesses classes for pensioner!

In terms of equality of access, I'd be disappointed if any hotel that offered these services wasn't able to meet the needs of a client who just happens to be in her 80s. I appreciate that some might be better than others at meeting such needs ... and I suppose the experience of people here might direct you to such places.

But I'd also just select a few establishments - in terms of location, price etc - that look like they fit the bill, then email them to ask them what sort of exercise programme they'd offer your mum. The kind of responses you get should make it clear which ones are going to be well-suited to your needs.

Without getting into too many stereotypes, a lot of the hotels associated with golf courses and resorts are good at this sort of stuff.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 09:36
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with fitnesses classes for pensioner!

Hi. What a great question! How about Crieff Hydro? They do a huge range of activities, including plenty to appeal to older people, such as water walking and moving-to-music. Check out this page for a selection of activities:

www.crieffhydro.com/leisure/things-to-do.aspx

Rooms, food and spa facilities should also be up to par for your mum.

Abs :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with fitnesses classes for pensioner!

Thanks for your replies. We've been to Crieff Hydro and hated it as it was over run with kids and more for them than elderly people. I wondered if there was something more geared for the elderly. We'll go anywhere in Scotland, and other then Glen Eagles, which is probably out of the price range, anything considered.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,780 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with fitnesses classes for pensioner!

How about Stobo Castle?

http://www.stobocastle.co.uk/

Not many kids there I'd imagine

or

Dunkeld Hilton

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

or

Mar Hall

http://www.marhall.com/home.aspx

or one of these

http://www.crerarhotels.com/ourhotels/

which push their spa experiences

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,951 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with fitnesses classes for pensioner!

Hi,

I'm not sure many hotels have a physio on tap for massages - they tend to be more medically-inclined.

You could try the Auchrannie on Arran. However, anywhere with an indoor pool is almost certainly going to attract families with kids.

The good thing about the Auchrannie is that there are two adjacent buildings, both with pools, and the original hotel has a much less "family" atmosphere - more country house, whilst across the way is the newer place. So you can have a peaceful swim and massage and not have the little darlings dive-bombing you.

6. Re: Hotel with fitnesses classes for pensioner!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 05:18