We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of days in Scotland

Pilsen Region...
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of days in Scotland

Hi! We are three adults - me (20), my mum and my dad. And we are thinking about going to Scotland for a couple of days in August. I´ll most probably be staying for three weeks prior in Leeds, on a language course. Then I would like to meet my parents in Edinburgh. We would of course like to see the city and then discover more of the country. I think Glasgow is one of the other places we would like to visit. What are the other places we shouldn´t miss while in Scotland? We would like to travel by train or buses, because none of us is used to driving on the left-side of the road. We expect staying in about three different places (Edinburgh, Glasgow,...). We would like to see the countryside and also some historic sights. (pretty unspecific, I know) If it´s necessary, I would add some info. Thanks to everyone, that will help me.

Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands...
1,928 reviews
from US$64.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
476 reviews
from US$328.00*
West Highland Lochs and Castles Tour...
570 reviews
from US$58.70*
Special Offer
2-Day Loch Ness and Inverness Small...
194 reviews
from US$166.30*
US$184.70
Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of days in Scotland

A couple of days is not long to do what you are thinking of. One of the many tour buses that leave from Waverley Bridge in Edinburgh are a good place to start. They give you a good overview of the city. Tickets are hop on hop off for the validity of the tickets. I think you will need to choose between Glasgow and seeing more of the countryside. The train trip from Edinburgh to Perth via the Fife Circle is a nice journey and you can come back via Stirling to make a loop. Firms like Rabbies or Timberbush tours do day trips up into the Highlands but be warned they can be long days.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of days in Scotland

Edinburgh in August is very exciting, very busy, already highly booked up and as result a bit expensive. There major international festivals on during August and so if you haven't already booked accommodation there it might be difficult to get good options at this stage.

You could can easily base yourself in Glasgow and visit Edinburgh for the day. In addition to Glasgow, consider these places which are easily reached by train:

Island of Bute - take the train from Glasgow to Wemyss Bay - 45 minutes or so - then the CalMac http://www.calmac.co.uk/ ferry to Rothesay - 50 minutes. Visit Mount Stuart - a fabulous stately home. http://www.mountstuart.com/ That makes a great day out.

If you want a place further away to base yourself and then explore, consider Oban. The train journey there is very pretty, and you see the glorious mountains, lochs - like fjords - and glens. From Oban you can do various day trips again by CalMac, including Mull and Iona.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of days in Scotland

Mary_g, makes a good point. I hadn't noticed it was August. Great time to be in Edinburgh as it will be buzzing! Accommodation will be at a premium so staying in Glasgow makes sense. The train runs every 30 mins to Edinburgh. Rabbies & Timberbush do day tours from Glasgow too so definitely worth thinking about.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 06:31
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,961 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of days in Scotland

You can't see Edinburgh, Glasgow AND the countryside in a couple of days. You wouldn't be able to see Edinburgh in August in a couple of days. If yuo fancy being around during the Festivals stay in Edinburgh for the two days. If not then stay elsewhere - Glasgow and have one day in the city and take a Rabbies tour on the other

Pilsen Region...
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of days in Scotland

I totally forgot about the festivals. So it would be better to find a hotel in Glasgow and make a trip to Edinburgh. Sorry about that. I´ll look up the other things you reccomended.

You said couple of days might not be enough for what we want to do. How much time would we need to have a full experience?

Thank you.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,961 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple of days in Scotland

You could spend a month and not see all of Scotland so it depends what you want to see. At least 2 days in Edinburgh to see some of the highlights. I'd skip time in Glasgow but I'm not a city person so can't speak for you. A week with a hire car would give you a taste of the country but if you only have a day then a day trip with a small group tour to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs with Rabbies or Timberbush would be a good use of your time

Pilsen Region...
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple of days in Scotland

Yeah, I think I will have to settle for a small glimpse of Scotland and hope I will be able to go there again in a future...

Pilsen Region...
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple of days in Scotland

If someone could help me with this question: How to get to Loch Lomond from Glasgow?

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple of days in Scotland

You can take the train from Glasgow Queen St (lower level) to Balloch on the southern shores of Loch Lomond, but that's not necessarily a major tourist part of the loch. There may be other options that others can recommend, but public transport may be a wee bit patchy depending on where exactly you're going.

Building on your earlier posts and suggestions from other posters, it might be best to take some kind of day tour that takes in these areas, as it would allow you to see a lot in your short time here. As others have said, rabbies (www.rabbies.com) and one or two other companies do reasonably priced day tours from Glasgow to Loch Lomond and the Highlands and generally seem to get very good reviews on TA.

If you could come for say 3 full days you could the base yourselves in Glasgow and do a day in Glasgow, a day trip by train to Edinburgh and on your third day do one of these day trips to the Highlands. That would be a good taste of Scotland.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couple of days in Scotland

To add to my previous post, I believe busses from Glasgow-Ft William and Glasgow-Oban go up Loch Lomond:

http://www.citylink.co.uk/timetables.php