We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving distances in Scotland

Coolangatta...
8 posts
Save Topic
Driving distances in Scotland

We are planning a self drive tour of Scotland, leaving Glascow driving up through Fort William to Inverness (o'night in Inverness) ........ is it worth driving accross to Aberdeen or should we just drive back down to Edinburgh for 3 nights & explore that area? We only have 5 nights available (including our first night in Glascow)

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving distances in Scotland

I would say no to Aberdeen. That's too much driving and the drive to Aberdeen is not specially interesting. Have 2 nights in Inverness and explore that area with shorter drives before another long drive back to Edinburgh

Edited: 15 April 2013, 00:12
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,037 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving distances in Scotland

You can check driving distances and times at www.rac.co.uk and www.theaa.co.uk

Glasgow to Inverness in a day may mean a motorway journey, but you'll miss some of the beauty of the countryside if you don't choose a few smaller roads as well. You could spend two days along the west coast on its own and still want to see more.

From Inverness, the A9 towards the south may be a faster journey, but I particularly like the north east coast, the small villages and towns between Elgin and Fraserburgh. You can then turn right and make your way south towards Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

Coolangatta...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving distances in Scotland

oops I have spelt Glasgow wrong .... apologies

Coolangatta...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving distances in Scotland

Thank you, we were planning on driving through Fort William to Inverness. Would we be better to fit in Isle of Skye & forget Inverness ??

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving distances in Scotland

Depends. If you like scenery, mountains, sea views etc go to Skye and drop Inverness. If you want a town with shopping and restaurants etc Inverness is a better bet.

Coolangatta...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving distances in Scotland

thanks, I am presuming that we may have 2 nights in Fort William to fit in travelling out to Skye & then driving back to Edinburgh??

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving distances in Scotland

Fort William is not a particularly attractive town. If you want to see that area, and it IS lovely, better choices would be Glencoe, Ballachulish, Onich.

However, I'm confused as to your itinerary. The Fort William area is NOT a good base to see Skye. If you want to see Skye, base yourself on the island

Coolangatta...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving distances in Scotland

Okay sorry for the confusion ..... I think I am confusing my self!!

Our itinerary is driving from Yorkshire Dales to Glasgow (not sure whether to stay in Glasgow or not?), then drive from Glasgow up to Inverness via Fort William (overnight in Inverness), then drive from Inverness to Perth (overnight in Perth), then Perth to Edinburgh via Stirling (2 nights in Edinburgh) before morning flight to Dublin. Are we trying to fit in too much ? our driving each day is around 3.5 - 4hrs driving this should allow for times to stop etc on our way before our overnight stops.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,992 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving distances in Scotland

The problem is that it's 3-4 hours every day. Gets a bit boring after a while. Personally I wouldn't go as far north as Inverness just to turn round and head back south again.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,077 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving distances in Scotland

I agree with Alan. After Glasgow I would drive to Skye via Fort William and Glen Coe, and spend one or two nights there to explore the island. And then drive from Skye to Edinburgh. At least you you would not just sit in the car.

Also, if you want to stick with your initial itinerary, there is no need to stay overnight in Perth. It is just another hour to Edinburgh, where you can stay two nights and get to Stirling either by car ot train. Again less hassle to drive