We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Pack

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to Pack

I'm travellng to Scotland for 2 weeks in late July/early August 2013. I'll be flying into Edinburgh, but travelling through the higlands and all the way up to Orkney. I'm looking for tips on what to pack. I know the weather can be quite damp and cool, especially in the north. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to Pack

The key is to wear several layers such as a t-shirt, fleece and waterproof jacket so you can a adapt things to match the varying temperatures. So assuming you will be able to do laundry at least once a week maybe a weeks' worth of t shirts and a couple of fleeces and a jacket. And a pair of jeans say and a couple of pairs of light trousers. Good walking shoes besides whatever casual shoes you normally like to wear would be an asset to.

Oh and long sleeves might be good for the Highland potion of your trip because of midges and something to repel the little beasts as well. Many people say Avon Skin So soft is good.

Edited: 21 April 2013, 16:53
Toronto, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to Pack

Thank you fundriver.

Mesquite, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to Pack

So Sharon, how was the weather? We are going this year and it sounds like our trip is just like the one you took. We are going the same time (except 2014) and traveling to the Orkney Islands too!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,979 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to Pack

I'd be very surprised if the weather last August has any bearing on the weather next July...

but the advice is #1 is still valid - expect and prepare for different weather, and you should be fine.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to Pack

I got quite a bit of exercise taking off and putting on a very lightweight nylon hooded anorak that rolled-up into its own pocket, easily small enough to fit back into my bag.

Cheers!

Sunny

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to Pack

PS I forgot- I used a folding insulated bag for snacks and picnics along the way in the car. It also helps with any shopping that may happen. I had a lovely picnic waiting for the Orkney ferry at John O Groats once....and many more. It was very useful and folded up to flat nothing in my luggage.

Cheers Again!

Sunny

Kirkwall, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to Pack

A hat is a must I would say - we keep a supply along with scarves and gloves for guests to borrow as a lot don't think to bring these in summer. You can get a completely windless day in Orkney but several in a row would be very unusual! I agree that layers is the real answer, you can have different weather at one end of the island to the other.

8. Re: What to Pack

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 07:17