We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Level Contributor
107 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Good base for isle of skye

A will be in london until july 20, then our plan is to fly to scotland for an anniversary trip.

We can fly into edinburgh or inverness, doesn't really matter, as long as we can get a final flight home to toronto.

We would like to visit edinburgh, isle of skye and perhaps inverness. We have from 20th when we arrive in scotland about 7 days, can stretch to 8. We ares a couple in early 30s and love nature and history.

where would you suggest we start and end the journey? We can hire a car as I'm not a big fan of organized tours. What is a good town to stay in for a few days sear the isle of skye?

Thank you so much in advance

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good base for isle of skye

It's so refreshing to see a poster who isn't trying to do Skye in two days.

I'd suggest staying in Portree as it's centrally located and will offer more choices for lodging.

I'd drive from either Edinburgh or Glasgow along Loch Lomond on the way to Skye. On the way out I'd drive along Loch Ness to Inverness and then head south. In fact, that's how I usually do it!

Are you considering a hotel or a B and B for your stay on Skye?

Level Contributor
107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good base for isle of skye

I would prefer a b&b as they are more casual and quieter. I haven't figured out the route yet.

Is there a need to go to Inverness? On the flight beck I would have to get to heathrow, so the best place would be to fly out of edinburgh to heathrow.

I was thinking of flying onto inverness then drive to isle of skye then to edinburgh.

Don't care for pubs our shopping, just want to see scotland. Maybe cut out inverness?

I have about a week.

Thank you

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good base for isle of skye

Do cut Inverness out. Driving via Inverness from Skye would take you down the A9. It's not the most pleasant route to drive.

Drive south via the A82 either via the Skye bridge or the Glenelg or Armadale ferries

4. Re: Good base for isle of skye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 15:26
Level Contributor
107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good base for isle of skye

The pictures of isle of skye sts kind of what we wish to see.

So if we cut Inverness out, is the best bet still to fly to Inverness and drive to Portree right away?

Having a hard time finding available accommodations in Portree.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good base for isle of skye

Don't get hung up on Portree. It's a big island with a lot of accommodation. Let us know what you find and you'll get people's opinions about the location etc.

7. Re: Good base for isle of skye

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Level Contributor
107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good base for isle of skye

I'm only looking at portree because that is the only place I heard people use as a base for exploring Skye.

Is there another town you can suggest please? Seems most places are sold out in Portree.

I would prefer to stay somewhere close to south end, just makes the drive back to edinburgh a little shorter.

9. Re: Good base for isle of skye

Level Contributor
107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good base for isle of skye

That's a good idea

I know it is impossible to see all the beauty of scotland in a week, so I like this idea. Only thing is we would probably fly in and out of edinburgh as the car drop would not be penalized for dripping at another location.