We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow or Edinburgh

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow or Edinburgh

I have the opportunity to take a short vacation on my way back to the US from Norway. I'd really like to spend a few days in Scotland but have no idea where to start with only 5 days. First question would be - Glasgow or Edinburgh as my start/stop point? My idea of adventure is walking around city centres, checking out architecture and shops and people. I'd like to get outside of the major city because I have found the locals are a lot more fun and friendly outside of the tourist areas in most places. I love small, interesting towns and people. I had heard there was some kind of tour where you walk through villages and they take your bags from each overnight place for you - and you just walk through until you get to your rest place for that night - but I can't find reference to a tour like that anywhere.

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh

What you are talking about is the West Highland Way (Google it) but it's 96 miles long.

Can you clarify what you want to do? You say that you like walking around city centres but that you like to get out of the city?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh

I think Edinburgh and Glasgow are both great cities.

However, I think Edinburgh is a much better walking city. So based on your fairly brief description of what you enjoy, I would go with Edinburgh.

If you want to get into the countryside, there are a few options for getting around.

1) Rent a car - most flexible option

2) Take the train - extensive network and stops in small towns within an hour of the city - www.scotrail.co.uk

for timetables/tickets/costs

3) Bus - similar deal to train but less interesting IMO

4) Tours - if you want to be in a group - check out people such as http://www.rabbies.com/

Enjoy the trip :)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh

Edinburgh is surrounded by hills (as is Glasgow in fact) but IMO the Pentlands or the River Tweed are easily accessible and worthy day trips. Google for Flotterstone, or Peebles, or Traquair, or Melrose. Less of a commitment than the week-long West Highland way trip.

Just giving you an alternative to most of the day trips which will take you northwards.

Rabbies and Timberbush seem the best options if you ARE looking for an organised trip.

There ARE companies who will help you with accommodation and transport for the West Highland Way. walkhighlands.co.uk/long-distance-routes.sht… describes most of the long-distance paths and there are some suggestions on each page regarding accommodation, transport or tour organisers.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh

Whether you choose Edinburgh or Glasgow they are just a short train ride apart so you can see both.

When is your holiday? If it is in August Edinburgh will be very busy with festivals. This is an amazing time to visit but accomodation is in short supply so you need to book asap.

Lots of good advice - also if you like smaller towns, St Andrews is a good day trip from Edinburgh.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh

Oh - 96 miles is not what I am looking for. So I will google the other areas.

What I am looking for, or better yet, attempting to avoid is an experience I had in Dublin - where I didn't meet many locals, but more transplants from other countries. As it was explained to me, I wasn't finding people as friendly as I anticipated because I wasn't meeting many true locals. . I would much rather be touring around areas where I am mixing with the locals versus grouped/couped up as a tourist. However, I will be cramming this experience in after a work trip - complete with baggage and work computers, hence the idea of basing in/around a large city (airport).

I will check out the links listed - thank you.

I was thinking I would avoid a car - and use public transit.

I figured I would plan 2 or more locals for overnights and stay in B&B style places.

After I posted I realized that Glasgow and Edinburgh are only a few hours apart - so I guess maybe the launching place isn't as critical?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh

Unfortunately this will be the very beginning of July - I did see the ads for the Tattoo celebrations in August. How exciting! If I am lucky I will be back in Norway in August and will attempt Scotland again at that time - with a better understand of where/what to go/do.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh

Edinburgh is August is VERY busy because of the Tattoo and multiple festivals. Book now, or look for hotels on the edge of town if you're booking later.

http://www.eif.co.uk/

https://www.edfringe.com/

If you go for walks on the Pentland hills you are likely to see people from Edinburgh. I often walk in that area and the people I meet are usually locals.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh

Edinburgh and Glasgow are 50 minutes apart, by train.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh

You should meet plenty of 'locals' in Glasgow, they are usually very friendly. :)

Less so in Edinburgh - many more tourists than Glasgow and people who live here but were born elsewhere - I think something like 50% of people living in Edinburgh were not born here - so you have a lot of English people and quite a few Polish and Spanish, a few French, German etc as well as people from other parts of Scotland. So Edinburgh is more cosmopolitan/European which is great and Glasgow is more Scottish which is also great - best of both worlds. :)

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh

Edinburgh in July has a bigger chance of being more akin to your Dublin experience. Edinburgh and Glasgow are only 50 mins apart by train so in essence it doesn't really matter where you decide to base yourself albeit Glasgow may have cheaper accomodation options at that time of year.