We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland Road Trip & Camping

6 posts
Save Topic
Scotland Road Trip & Camping

Hi all.

I have been planning a road trip for me & my fiancee to go around Scotland highlands in my own car for 2 week for some time now.this will be are first time so where to go,what to see & where to camp/b&bs. We will be coming July/August.

Would like to see a bit of everything on are way around Scotland. But we are looking forward to the Spectacular scenery.

We would like to do some good walking in nice scenery, castles, history & nice old towns with good local pubs.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland Road Trip & Camping

Firstly you can camp pretty much anywhere you want so longs you don't inconvenience others, with the exception of the East Shore of Loch Lomond, where local neds have inconvenienced many people by building fires and getting drunk. Too near the city.

There are official campsites in all areas if you want reasonable facilities. www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/county.asp… might be helpful

AUgust in Edinburgh is busy and expensive thanks to its festivals. If you're planning on Edinburgh do it first. Edinburgh being the seminal 'old town'. Or if you want to see the festival be aware that hotels and B&Bs are filling up and are expensive.

Why not simply plan a circular route, and with two weeks you have plenty time to explore most parts.

A typical route might be Ayrshire, maybe an island like Arran, Loch Lomond, Oban (roure to Mull and other islands) then up past fort william and out to SKye, then up the coast through Ullapool and beyind it into Assynt. Maybe Orney or Shetland. A return route could take you back via Inverness, and maybe into Skeyside and Deeside, and down to Perth; then Fife. Places plucked not at random, but it should depend on your preferences, not mine! There are many such routes if you look at a roadmap.

As well as the usual tourist websites like http://www.visitscotland.com/, try looking at http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/, which list a lot more places, regionally.

Have you booked flights? I'm guessing Glasgow which is why I suggested the route above ... but with thre reference to 'own car' maybe you're UK-based, despite your avatar?

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland Road Trip & Camping

Take a look at Walking Highlands too - there's info on accommodation as well as walking.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

If you are camping come prepared - midge season will be in full swing during your visit!

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland Road Trip & Camping

Hi, thank you so much for your inputs & websites to look at i really appreciate it.

This is are 1st trip to Scotland... so i'm still trying to figure out my way around...We would ideally like to do activities,walks & sightseeing during the day & evnings we would love to visit the local pubs for a good drink & food.

We will be camping on official campsites when we camp so we have the facilities there.

We are coming up from Leeds & i was thinking of going to Loch Lomond for are first stop & stay there 2/3days.

Then on up the west coast to oban/glencoe/fort william & stay around there 2/3days.

Then on over to Isle of Skye going on the ferry from Mallaig to Armadale & stay on skye for 3/4days.

Then on over the Skye bridge & up the great glen to loch ness/Inverness stay around there for 2/3days.

Then down to perth/stirling stay around there 1/2days.

Then on home going down by Northumberland & on to Leeds.

We want to move around and stay in different places so not going to make bookings. So if we don't like it in one place we can move on to the next town or stay longer if we do like it there.

Do you think we will get the best out of are holiday in scotland with my planned route. I no July and August are peak season so is the travelling going to be hard to get from A to B.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland Road Trip & Camping

I'd say the route from Skye to Inverness via Torridon, maybe as far north as Ullapool, takes you through magnificent scenery and small villages and towns, and is much more worthwhile overall than three days based somewhere around Inverness. Try a night or two somewhere like Gairloch. Maybe Somewhere near the cairngorms (e.g. Glenmore campsite at Loch Morlich) would be better once you get to Inverness? Or Blair Atholl or Dunkeld in preference to Perth itself.

Yes roads are busier in July/Aug but they are not traffic-jammed like you get in London and Birmingham. You're more likely to be in queues with a caravan or a couple of trucks at the front and this will probably drop your speed by 10 mph.

Most campsites operate first come first served for tents - and most campsites will have enough room for casual use, so chances are you'll find space where you want to stop without booking.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland Road Trip & Camping

You'll definitely get your money's worth on Skye, but if I may make your travel plans more complicated . . . have you thought about going to Harris or Lewis for a few days? I fell in love with the Outer Hebrides when I went there. Apart from Stornoway and Tarbert, there aren't a lot of towns, but the scenery is fantastic. I stayed at B&Bs while I was on my trip, but I did see a lot of campsites near the beaches on Harris. Just something to consider!

6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland Road Trip & Camping

I did not think about that route from Skye up to Ullapool & then over to Inverness. Is that route up that way a lot of single roads or is a lot of the highlands single roads. I did want to drive up the great glen so i got some thinking to do about that. I was only thinking of going on one of the islands so i picked Isle of Skye everyone on the forums say good things about it. I want to go to Loch Ness to & a lot of people say bad things about it but i don't no why but i will see in time when we get there. There is just so much to see & do in Scotland & the more i look it just gets harder to try & fit it all in.

I no i will miss a lot of good things out so we will have to come back again & again.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
231 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland Road Trip & Camping

Nothing bad about Loch Ness other than it isn't a particularly interesting or scenic loch in comparison to many others.

6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotland Road Trip & Camping

So by the time i get to Loch Ness i would have seen some Spectacular scenery on my way there. So is 3days around Loch Ness/Inverness to much time for there would you go to somewhere else with my time in Scotland on this holiday.

9. Re: Scotland Road Trip & Camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 07:18