We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice and recommendations about my scotland itinerary :)

Brussels
11 posts
Save Topic
Advice and recommendations about my scotland itinerary :)

Hey guys,

My name is Nazly and I will travel alone to Scotland on the 26th of May for 61/2 days. I have a preliminary plan and I was wondering if someone can help me out and make recommendations as to how i can make the best out of my short period. Also, please keep in mind that I won't be hiring a car and I will be dependent 100% on public transportation (no hitch-hiking.)

-I land in Edinburgh on the morning of May 26th

-I leave to Dublin from Edinburgh airport on June 1st at 8 in the evening.

May 26th and 27th Edinburgh

May 28th Loch Lomond (where is the best location to sleep? Glasgow?)

May 29th Loch shiel

May 30th and 31st Inverness/loch ness

June 1st make my way back to Edinburgh

Does that sound feasible? Can you please help me plan the transportation part between each leg of the trip? Do you have any recommendations or alterations?

Thank you very much!

Nazly

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,619 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice and recommendations about my scotland itinerary :)

You are obviously in to lochs! Apart from Edinburgh, do you have any special reason for visiting these particular places?

Brussels
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice and recommendations about my scotland itinerary :)

During my travels I always focus on sightseeing and I got a museums and churches overload and need to balance that with some nature :) so that's why I'm planning on going to the Lochs.

Can you help me with any of my questions?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice and recommendations about my scotland itinerary :)

Your answer partly depends on Budget. For example you could spend a lot at Loch Lomond (Cameron House Hotel) or a little (one of the B&Bs in Balloch)

You can get a train from Glasgow Queen Street to Balloch. Or you can get a bus from Buchanan St Bus Station.

Next day you could join the Glasgow-Fort William bus followed by the FW-Mallaig bus or train which passes the end of Loch Sheil at Glenfinnan. (I presume you mean Loch Shiel rather than Glen Sheil - the latter is on the A87 on the way to Skye)

There are a few Hotels near Glenfinnan - not sure if there's a nearby B&B

Google is handy if you're looking for hotels - e.g. http://goo.gl/maps/O94tO

-

and just in case Glen Sheil:

citylink.co.uk/timetables/…Glas2Skye.pdf

It stops at Cluanie (the Cluanie Inn) or Shiel Bridge (Kintail Lodge Hotel)

The #19 bus takes you from Fort William to Inverness (via Drumnadrochit where most of the Nessie hooha happens)

This might help for buses

www.citylink.co.uk/timetables200513.php

www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables.aspx…

This might help for trains

www.scotrail.co.uk/timetables-routes/1931

www.scotrail.co.uk/timetables-routes/1801

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice and recommendations about my scotland itinerary :)

The above was directly answering your question. However here are some suggestions given the reasons for your trip.

If you're interested in the best of nature and mountains you should be thinking of Loch Lomond (tick) plus Glencoe plus Skye. Torridon and the areas north of it are more difficult without your own transport - but there is a way of slotting those together:

Glasgow - Loch Lomond as described.

Loch Lomond - Fort WIlliam - Mallaig. By bus to Fort William you can see Glencoe; by train - you take a different route to Fort William, more inland. But it's a stunning train ride. You either return to Dumbarton, or travel up Loch Lomond to Tarbet, in order to change onto the train to Fort WIlliam

Ferry Mallaig to Skye.

There are *some* buses on Skye. Stay on Skye for a day or two

Take the Skye-Inverness bus. or *much better* take the Kyle of Lochalsh - Inverness train. Personally I'd spend less time in Inverness and more elsewhere.

Edited: 16 May 2013, 20:05
Brussels
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice and recommendations about my scotland itinerary :)

Thank you so much for all of the helpful info! I am definitely on a budget, so I will be couchsurfing if I'm comfortable with the hosts I find in my destinations, otherwise I will find cheap B&Bs.

So instead of doing 2 days in Inverness, I should do 1 day in Inverness and 1 day in Skye? (That should be convenient since they're only around an hour away from each other.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,823 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice and recommendations about my scotland itinerary :)

You will find lots of links to public transport in Inverness because it is the hub for that area and if you wish there is a wide choice of day trips from Inverness to scenic parts of that area and to places of interest nearby either as day trips or independently on public transport. The tourist information centre in the town centre will offer you a wide choice of things to do and places to go.

Brussels
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice and recommendations about my scotland itinerary :)

Thanks everyone for all your help. i will go to the tourist info office once I arrive to Edinburgh if I have more questions.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,619 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice and recommendations about my scotland itinerary :)

Public transport is sparse in Scotland, so a better plan might be to choose suitably rural and scenic places which are accessible by train or bus, rather than just deciding to go to Loch Shiel and Loch Ness. In any case, the consensus on this forum is that Loch Ness is a touristy but not particularly attractive destination, and I tend to agree with that.

You only have a few days, so one possible plan might be to take the train to Fort William on the the evening of 26 May. See scotrail.co.uk/timetables-routes/…winter. Fort William is not the most attractive town in Scotland, but it is the perfect base for exploring the area by train and bus.

Without a car, Skye is difficult simply because it is so big and the bus services are few and far between. So as well as the possibilities mentioned by derek in post 3 above, I can recommend taking a day trip to the lesser known and much smaller islands of Eigg or Rum from Arisaig or Mallaig, which you can reach on the 08.30 train from Fort William. See arisaig.co.uk/pdf/sheerwater-timetable-and-f… and calmac.co.uk/timetables/…

Edited: 17 May 2013, 07:34
9. Re: Advice and recommendations about my scotland itinerary :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 05:17