We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to Loch Ness

Gurgaon
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh to Loch Ness

We're driving down from Edinburgh to Loch Ness on the 2nd of June; planning to leave Edinburgh around 11am. Suggestions for places to visit on the way would be welcome. Where should we halt for lunch, on the shores of Loch Lomond? Which would be the best viewpoint for Ben Nevis?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Edinburgh to Loch Ness

If you want scenic lochs, you might look at the Trossachs (Loch Katrine, the Dukes Pass etc) as well as Loch Lomond. Actually the sea lochs on the west coast (turn left at Tarbet on Loch Lomond and head to Oban) are spectacular, especially of an evening when the sun's from the west as well.

Even better (but a lot further) the road to the Isles (Ft WIlliam to Mallaig); loch Coruisk (accessible via a boat trip from Elgol, Skye), or Loch Torridon ... I could go on, but there are loads and loads of places with lochs which are much more stunning than Lochs Ness, Lochy, or the Fort WIlliam end of Loch Linnhe.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Edinburgh to Loch Ness

No need to wrap up by 5 if you work out what's open and when. Yes many buildings close at 5 or 6 but Edinburgh's also about its stunning architecture and getting to know people, and that can go on into the evening, as can (say) climbing Arthurs Seat to get spectacular views. Wandering the streets, the old and new town, finding a nice meal, a pub. Right now it's not fully dark until 10 pm and that'll be 10.30 pm in early June.

HOHO: there are something like 6 different HOHO options. I think a HOHO tour is a good intro to a new place, to be followed up by time revisiting places of interest. But that implies more time than you have available.

Places to visit: with just 5 hours concentrate on the Royal Mile as Edinburgh's historic heart. Walk it, from the Castle to Holyrood. There are dozens of places of interest, loads that won't get a mention on a bus and you really need a guidebook. You could spend hours just in Edinburgh Castle - there's a lot to see. There are all sorts of narrow pends leading off the Mile, illustrating Edinburgh's old architecture. Find the Jolly Judge, up near the Castle. Visit Gladstone's Land, a merchant's house of about 1600. St Giles Cathedral, John Knox House, the story-telling centre, the museums on the way down, the Poetry library, Whitehorse Close, which takes some finding, then there's Holyrood Palace, the Queen's Gallery, the Scottish Parliament. And to the right, Arthur's Seat. And there are loads of pubs cafes and restaurants.

Look up some of the places I've mentioned. In just five hours you'd have to be selective. And that's just one street ...

With limited time I'd say get a taxi from the Hilton to the Caslte, and start your walk ...

Gurgaon
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Edinburgh to Loch Ness

Derek, thanks a ton for the Edinburgh tips, will be of real help to us. The prospect of daylight stretching till 10:30 is very exciting, gives us that much more time to explore. And I look forward to sampling the local Pub delights!

Did I understand correctly that Lochy & Linnhe are not the options either?

Cheers

14. Re: Edinburgh to Loch Ness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 06:17