We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Highlands & Skye

NYC
Level Contributor
107 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Planning Highlands & Skye

My husband and I will be in Scotland for 5 days in late September/early October. We're spending a day and a half in Edinburgh, departing for the highlands either Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. Our plan is to spend 4 days total driving through Glasgow and the Highlands to Skye, then a day or two in Skye, then back to Edinburgh through Pitlochry. We need to be back at Edinburgh airport by Friday afternoon, so I'm planning on spending the last night in Pitlochry and hiking/visiting the distillery there on our final morning.

My question is: After leaving Edinburgh, should I spend two days getting to Skye, and one day on Skye? Or should I spend one day (or perhaps a day and a half) getting to Skye and a full 2 days on Skye? We are more interested in nature than buildings ( like to walk and bike). All suggestions would be enormously appreciated including where to stay over to break up the trip en route from Edinburgh to Skye.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Highlands & Skye

Skye is a big island with lots to see and do. I'd advise getting there reasonably quickly and maximising your time on the island. So I'd book three nights on Skye (Monday - Wednesday) and give yourselves two clear days to enjoy the island. I suggest taking the Mallaig - Armadale ferry on the way, and the bridge on the way back, to take in the magnificent scenery en route.

NYC
Level Contributor
107 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Highlands & Skye

I realize my previous posting was confusing. Our total time in Scotland is 6 days (arrival to departure).

We will be in Edinburgh Sat/Sun. Departing for roundtrip highlands/Skye and back to Edinburgh on either Sunday afternoon or very early Monday. So, we will have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to visit the highlands and Skye, then Thursday we will drive back to Pitlochry, departing to Edinburgh Friday morning. Planning on driving one route Edinburgh to Skye, and a different route returning.

My question is: Should I spend Monday-Tuesday driving to Skye and one day on Skye; or should I spend Monday driving to Skye, and two days on Skye? Suggestions for itinerary and accommodations would be appreciated!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Highlands & Skye

It would be best to to spend Monday driving to Skye, stay three nights, and leave for Pitlochry on Thursday.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Highlands & Skye

As Dhmellor has said, one day isn't enough to see Skye. It's a big island and the roads can be slow. Go straight to Skye and spend as many days as you can spare there

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Highlands & Skye

It takes 5 hrs driving to get from Edinburgh to Portree, whether by the bridge or the Mallaig ferry. Just for info.

6. Re: Planning Highlands & Skye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 06:15