We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oban or Glencoe area from Stirling?

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Oban or Glencoe area from Stirling?

My husband and I are traveling from Edinburgh, stopping to visit Stirling, and are wondering where to spend the night and which route to take before taking The Road to the Isles to Skye the following day? I'm thinking of either traveling to Oban or Glencoe, and don't want to stay in Fort William. We would like to see some nice scenery along the way and prefer small villages/towns. Does anyone have suggestions on which direction we should travel and a good place to stay?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oban or Glencoe area from Stirling?

Via Glencoe is a more direct route, rather than Oban, and it's wonderfully scenic. You could stay somewhere like Glencoe Village. You might enjoy this place (http://www.clachaig.com/), or there are several B&Bs in Glencoe village.

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oban or Glencoe area from Stirling?

Thank you! I was contemplating that, but didn't know if Oban is a "must see" and easier to get to. I also read that the drive from Oban to Glencoe is beautiful.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oban or Glencoe area from Stirling?

Glencoe is more scenic than Oban. I stay at the Clachaig Inn when I can. If you want a chain hotel with stuff like a swimming pool there's the Isles of Glencoe Hotel

4. Re: Oban or Glencoe area from Stirling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 05:17