We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iteinerary for a couple with a three year old | self drive

Delhi
Level Contributor
59 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Iteinerary for a couple with a three year old | self drive

Hello!

I know this question has been asked many a times on this forum, and yet I am seeking guidance on this again. I have done my bit of research on this forum (not very extensive though) and request fellow travelers / experts to opinionate on my proposed itinerary

Back Ground

We are a couple in early thirties with a three year old daughter and want to make a plan where in we could have some kiddie activities for the three year old. We are arriving in Edinburgh on the afternoon of 21st July and have booked a two night accommodation at the HARRIS self service apartment run by Fountain court. On the 23rd we would like to fire a car to drive around Scotland and fly out of Edinburgh on the 29th (early morning), that leaves us with a car, six days and five nights.

Proposed Itinerary for which suggestions, guidance and corrections are sought

23rd July : depart Edinburgh by mid day, arrive Stirling to visit the castle, after the castle visit is over drive down to Avimore/ pilotchry (I guess the spelling is wrong) for the night. (please suggest between Avimore and Pilotchry)

24th July: Look around Avimore/ Pilochtry in the morning and set out for Inverness, on way stop over at some interesting sights (please guide) and if possible a child activity (please guide) and then make home in Inverness for the night.(if there is more left in the day / evening- please suggest if can see any of the famous lochs near Inverness- I understand the Loch Ness is too over rated!)

25th July : I understand from this forum that Inverness does not have too much of it’s own town centre as a tourist attraction, so would like to leave Inverness after breakfast towards isle of Skye (or some other destination that can be recommended- since we plan to go to Oban later). The idea could be to reach Isle of Skye (or the destination recommended) by say late afternoon, Such that we could have a leisurely drive with some interesting halts (please suggest) and if possible some kiddie activity/ interest. Sleep the night in Isle of Skye or the place that could be recommended,

26th July : Leave for Oban and make Oban home for two nights. Here I seek suggestions on what route do I take to Oban are there are interesting things to do or see on way to Oban. Once we are in Oban for two nights- please advise the sights/ destinations that we could reach out to.

27th July; day and Night in Oban (please suggest a good place to stay )

28th July: leave Oban in the morning for Edinburgh, propose to stay in a Edinburgh Airport Hotel since we have an early morning flight on the 29th July. Please suggest the route and activities and stop overs that could be suggested to reach EDI airport (EH28 post code) from Oban.

29th July : Fly out of EDI

I know I have asked a lot of questions and seek a lot of guidance, with a hope that there would be suggestions from the experts and fellow travelers in here.

I would welcome guidance on the route/ activities/ places to see / things to do and also places to stay for the Scotland itinerary. My better half would like to see some castles, picnic in the typical Scottish highlands (weather permitting), my daughter likes animals and farms (she is at that age), so I guess a whale watching trip or some animal parks / farms or safari and I would like to include a scotch whiskey distillery if It can be included. During this trip I would like to treat my wife with one fancy hotel / BnB of upto GBP 120 – GBP 140 per night, other accommodations could be in the 60-90 GBP range.

I can not put it to words as to how keenly I am looking forward to your inputs, that should help me plan my holiday.

Thanks a lot to all of you for reading this lost post and hopefully commenting on it..

BR- Ash

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iteinerary for a couple with a three year old | self drive

You are allowing too little time for getting from Inverness to Oban, and there therefore going to do the west coast and Skye an injustice.

A good place to look for castles and a lot more would be http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

This is the route I'd choose, but I would only do it if I had more time.

Inverness - Gairloch/Inverewe - Loch Maree - Torridon - Sheildaig - Applecross - Plockton - Skye (needs a couple of days alone!!) - Mallaig - Fort WIlliam - Glencoe - Oban.

The best boat trip I know of would be from Elgol on SKye. There are others - e.g. from Arisaig near Mallaig

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iteinerary for a couple with a three year old | self drive

You need to book up your accommodation as soon as possible as this is peak tourist season and your available options for family rooms will be limited particularly in places like Skye and Oban- check www.visitscotland.com or www.laterooms.com for your dates. Your estimate of £60 will be difficult to find for a room sleeping 3 in July, it is more likely to be £90 for a decent place.

Also, I'm not sure how tolerant your 3 yr old is of long car journeys but I know at that age mine never lasted more than 2 hours without needing a stop to run around a bit and you will need to factor in this to your plan . Make sure you order an appropriate child car seat for the hire car as this is the law in Scotland.

This is a great place near Aviemore http://www.highlandwildlifepark.org.uk/

Also look at this place near Oban http://www.visitsealife.com/Oban/

Your daughter might be a bit young for this but have a look http://www.landmarkpark.co.uk/

For information on kids activities around Aviemore dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/aviemore

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,723 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iteinerary for a couple with a three year old | self drive

dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/aviemore

This website has lots of good ideas for Aviemore and beyond.

For adults the best attraction near Inverness is probably Culloden Battlefield with an excellent visitor centre.

Inverness has a children's playground by the River Ness called Whin Park

Lots animal attractions on the above link around Aviemore

The Loch Ness Exhibition centre is very informative about the various hunts for the monster and evidence for and against. Lots of people like Urquhart Castle and the views down the loch from there. The drive down the loch side to get there is nothing much because lots of it is hidden by trees but there are a few viewing points along the way.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iteinerary for a couple with a three year old | self drive

There's no point in driving all the way to Skye and then leaving next morning. You need at least two nights on Skye - it's a big island with lots to see and do, including a couple of fine castles. To be realistic, I think you need to do either Skye or Oban - you haven't got time for both.

Oban could be a good base for a whale watching trip. Or the Sheerwater is good for that too, based at Arisaig, which you would pass if you leave Skye by the Mallaig ferry. See http://www.arisaig.co.uk/

Delhi
Level Contributor
59 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iteinerary for a couple with a three year old | self drive

Hello!

I thank all three of you for the wonderful insight, this is helpful, and I am once again on the drawing board. As 3nations_family pointed out, I should be quick to reserve my accommodations.

With that in mind and also that I am trying to fit too much in limited space , I modify our itienary to exclude a night in Inverness and drive Skype from Avimore.

This ways I spend Two Nights in Skye and then Two Nights in Oban, With this modification I seek your expert inputs on te following:-

23rd July : depart Edinburgh by mid day, arrive Stirling to visit the castle, after the castle visit is over drive down to Avimore for the night. (please suggest things to see / do between Avimore and EDI)

24th July: Look around Avimore in the morning and set out for the Isle of Skye, on way stop over at some interesting sights (please guide) and if possible a child activity (please guide) and then make home in the Isle of Skye for the night.(please suggest if I can do Loch Ness on way from Avimore to Skye- or any other ‘good’ loch on way since I understand the Loch Ness is over rated!); night halt in Isle of Skye

25th July : I understand from that Isle of Skye has loads to offer, please advise the activities/ sights/ things to do… ; Night halt in Skye

26th July : Leave for Oban and make Oban home for two nights. Here I seek suggestions on what route do I take to Oban are there are interesting things to do or see on way to Oban. Once we are in Oban for two nights- please advise the sights/ destinations that we could reach out to.

27th July; day and Night in Oban (please suggest a good place to stay )

28th July: leave Oban in the morning for Edinburgh, propose to stay in a Edinburgh Airport Hotel since we have an early morning flight on the 29th July. Please suggest the route and activities and stop overs that could be suggested to reach EDI airport (EH28 post code) from Oban.

29th July : Fly out of EDI

Your suggestions w.r.t. places to see , things to go etc are highly appreciated and welcome.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Ash

6. Re: Iteinerary for a couple with a three year old | self drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 06:18