We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which places along our route are the midge risky ones?

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic

Hi.

The should take place in first two weeks of August.

Edinburgh - Glamis - Dunkeld - Aviemore - Nairn - Inverness - Drumnadrochit - Gairloch - Applecross - Plockton - Uig - Elgol - Arisaig - Glenfinnan - Nevis Range -Glencoe - Duror - Inveraray - Luss - Stirling - Edinburgh.

Thank you

Yuri

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,183 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which places along our route are the midge risky ones?

You can get them almost anywhere, but the places from Applecross to Luss on your list are the most likely, depending on the weather.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which places along our route are the midge risky ones?

Safe enough in towns and cities but the West of the country tends to get more than the east (bigger teeth)

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which places along our route are the midge risky ones?

What kind of weather is good for midges( and bad for us)?

Yuri

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which places along our route are the midge risky ones?

Midges like heather so the hills of the west are their favourites: - Drumnadrochit - Gairloch - Applecross - Plockton - Uig - Elgol - Arisaig - Glenfinnan - Nevis Range -Glencoe - Duror - Inveraray - Luss - are the most likely.

I've just come back from a week near Glencoe and didn't notice any which is pretty unusual, although it is a bit early in the year for them (they should be out and about by August though!)

In terms of weather the best thing for you is a breeze. Winds over a couple of miles an hour blow the wee brutes away. If it is a still day you may want to keep moving.

wwww.midgeforecast.co.uk gives info on how bad they are, by the way!

Although they are a nuisance they would not put me off visiting somewhere, but they would stop me opening my bedroom window.....

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which places along our route are the midge risky ones?

Sorry the website is www.midgeforecast.co.uk

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which places along our route are the midge risky ones?

Midges like damp conditions, so yes, heathery areas but also areas with lots of long grass or bracken. Or water-sodden birch woods. They don't like breezes and they don't like heat. Quite often you can move from lots of midges to almost no midges by walking a hundred metres or so.

The midge forecast is sponsored by Smidge, and the other product which seems to find favour is Avon 'Skin so soft' spray oil. Both available in outdoors shops in most towns.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 20:20
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which places along our route are the midge risky ones?

Derek, it is nice to have you back!

Is there some kind recommended for children specially?

Thanks Yuri

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which places along our route are the midge risky ones?

You want to repel children??

I don't know about Smidge but I think the active ingredient in Avon SSS is Citronella.

Beyond that, I have very limited expertise!

It's difficult finding internet advice because reach engines know a lot more abourt mosquitos than midges:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=child+mosquito+repellent&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=9682682672&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=634832&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7824816591887128486&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8937hbo5hz_b

THis one mentions midges:

safariquip.co.uk/all-categories/…

And from Tiso's - my localclimbing shop:

http://outdoor.tiso.com/search?w=midge

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which places along our route are the midge risky ones?

If I would want to repel children, I would have a few drinks!

I am seeking a midge repellant suitable for children. In Edinburgh, in a big pharmacy store, will probably be somebody (apothekary), who could advise on that issue.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which places along our route are the midge risky ones?

Avon Skin-so-Soft is touted as especially safe for children. The active ingredient in Smidge is picaridin (saltidin) and is supposed to be safe for children of all ages - unlike DEET which should not be used at all on infants and not in high concentrations on children.

I have no experience with Smidge. For myself, Skin-so-Soft didn't help much with mosquitos, and it's supposed to repel them as well as midges. But I am a major mosquito magnet! I figure we'll look for Smidge while in the UK.