We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS question

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
10,985 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
GPS question

Hi. We are planning a self drivig tour in Scotland this Summer. I have a Garmin with 2 year old Western Europe maps and a Navigon with 1 year old W.E. maps (as a backup).

The question is: Do I need to purchase an update for these, or roads havent changed so much, and they will do?

I will also take Collins U.K. Road Atlas with me.

Thank you for your replies.

Yuri

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS question

For touring most of Scotland you will be fine, just be aware that the odd junction may have changed to a roundabout or a roundabout may have changed to a junction.

GPS/SatNav in Edinburgh is generally out of date every few days so don't even think of using it in the city center.

Glasgow you possibly will not have the southern motorway network so will travel though the main M8 though the centre. So apart from The main city's I suspect you will be OK

. Just remember we drive on the left , very important at round abouts and when you leave petrol stations

Edited: 01 July 2013, 23:01
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
10,985 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS question

Thank you Mike! I will not drive in Edinburgh anyway. Its for Highlands and etc...

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS question

If your garmin covers Scotland and its maps are a couple of years old you will have little trouble in working out routes.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,326 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS question

Just remember to ask for a bit of local knowledge as well as I have known people to have been taken the shortest way but by far the longest time-wise due to long stretches of single track road. I have also known people to end up at Mallaig on the way to Skye (I know you have done loads of research so won't get caught out with that one :-) ) and wondered where the bridge was, good business for Mallaig and Sleat, B&Bs mind you :-)

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
10,985 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS question

There are roads in Scotland, GPS will never guide to. For example: The long route to Applecross thru Fernmore. I have done it many years ago, from South to North. This year I want to do it backwards( coming from Gairloch).

Thanks for your concern.

Yuri.

6. Re: GPS question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 06:19