We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland in March, with a 3 year old

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Scotland in March, with a 3 year old

We have to be in the UK in early March for a wedding, and were thinking as part of the trip of spending some time in Scotland (anything from a few days to a week as we're pretty flexible). My husband and I have both been before, and definitely want to do Edinburgh and St. Andrews, but aren't sure about a further itinerary, especially with a three year old in tow. I've always loved the highlands, and we both want to someday see the Orkneys, but I'm not sure March would be the best time for that. My husband will insist on some sort of whisky distillery visit, and I'd like to do at least some hiking/outdoor activities. We currently live in Canada so are used to inclement weather, but I'm wondering if there are areas of Scotland that would be better than others at that time of year. Ideally we'd love to find a short term holiday let and use that as a base (we do have a car over there). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland in March, with a 3 year old

As you already know March weather can be unpredictable, in view of this it might be an idea to restrict this visit, rather than venture to the Highlands. I suggest you look around The Trossachs area, Loch Lomond, etc.

Check out also around Blair Atholl, another nice area, there's a super castle and a wildlife park which may interest the little one.

This site should help on the distillery search:www.scotlandwhisky.com/plan-your-visit/distilleriesnearedinburgh/‎

Hope this helps a little.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,919 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland in March, with a 3 year old

dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/aviemore

Your child might like some of these activities. The heading says Aviemore but it covers a wider area than that. Aviemore is the skiing centre for Scotland and is geared up for visitors who like the outdoors and also has soft play centres for little ones

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland in March, with a 3 year old

March is not Summer. In the highlands, the ski slopes will probably be open, and it's too early for lots of greenery. So travel will be black and white, but there will still be places to visit. Places like Aviemore to year-round trade.

A lot of touristy places - castles and the like - are unlikely to be open in early March as it's pre-season. Some will be; you need to check.

Also look at http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ which will break things down region by region.

4. Re: Scotland in March, with a 3 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 06:18