We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland itinerary help

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Scotland itinerary help

My wife and I are travelling to Scotland for the first time in September from Australia & would really appreciate any advice or comments on our itinerary. Edinburgh and Skye accommodation is locked in, but the rest is open. If the 4 days in Edinburgh itself is too long, we could do some day trips from there.

Day 1 - Sightseeing – Edinburgh. Stay Edinburgh

Day 2 - Sightseeing – Edinburgh. Stay Edinburgh

Day 3 - Sightseeing – Edinburgh. Stay Edinburgh

Day 4 - Sightseeing – Edinburgh. Stay Edinburgh

Day 5 – Pick up car at Edinburgh EDI and travel to St Andrews then to Pitlochry. Stay Pitlochry

Day 6 - Travel - Pitlochry to Portree. Stay Portree

Day 7 - Sightseeing Skye. Stay Portree

Day 8 - Sightseeing Skye. Stay Portree

Day 9 - Travel Portree to Oban. Stay Oban

Day 10 - Sightseeing - Oban, boat trip to Mull? Stay Oban

Day 11 - Travel Oban to Loch Lomond & Stirling Castle. Stay somewhere near to Edinburgh (Sterling? Linlithgow?)

Day 12 - Early (ish) flight to Dublin.

Thank you for any suggestions

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland itinerary help

Itinerary sounds pretty good. 4 days is certainly not too long to spend in magnificent Edinburgh, however incorporating a day trip could be worthwhile and make a nice change of scenery.

Some of my personal fav day trips out the city are North Berwick, Glasgow, Peebles and the East Neuk of Fife (such as Anstruther and Elie)

North Berwick and Glasgow are easily and probably best accessed on the train with regular services from Scotrail. see www.scotrail.co.uk for prices and timetables.

Peebles is south of Edinburgh and there will be buses running to it. The East Neuk is north across the Firth of Forth. You could probably take a wee look at this area en route to St Andrews if you leave early enough in the day when departing Edinburgh. Otherwise a combination of bus/train could work to get you there.

Definitely recommend visiting Mull from Oban. And if you're into walking, there is a very small island called Kerrera which is closer than Mull that is nice for a good stroll.

Wouldnt really recommend a stay over in Linlithgow but Stirling could be an option.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland itinerary help

It's a very good itinerary, and I can't add much to KR's excellent advice. Obviously you can vary your routes to and from Skye - I suggest you get there via the Skye Bridge and leave by the ferry to Mallaig (must book in advance). The ferry from Oban to Mull also needs advance booking if you plan to take your car across, which I suggest you should do, despite the cost - Mull is a big island and you won't see much of it without wheels. Although if you plan to go across Mull to Iona (which would be a good idea, IMO), there is a bus service which connects with the ferries - see westcoastmotors.co.uk/userfiles/tt/service%2…

Have a great trip!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland itinerary help

KR_Edinburgh & Dhmellor, thank you so much for your comments & suggestions.

4. Re: Scotland itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 06:20