We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scotland- advisable in mid october/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
scotland- advisable in mid october/

my husband and i are considering a 10 day trip to scotland in mid october. would this be advisable weather wise? thanks so much!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scotland- advisable in mid october/

short answer is that no one knows in advance what the weather will be, it could be wet and cold or it could just as well be bright and sunny, the days are getting shorter, but I think October a lovely month, once theclocks change though its downhill all the way to Christmas.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scotland- advisable in mid october/

Totally agree with fuschiagirl - and the weather in scotland is impossible to predict any month!

I have had lovely holidays in scotland in october - the autumn colours are gorgeous. Worth making sure you are here before the clocks change as you get an extra hours daylight in late afternoon.

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scotland- advisable in mid october/

Hi While definitely not an expert my Mom and I visited four years ago from Oct. 12--17th and the weather was absolutely spectacular. We were told it had been raining for weeks prior to that so we were definitely lucky. My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland on the 11th of October (his first) and we are definitely bringing rain jackets and umbrellas! Good luck whatever you decide.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,367 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scotland- advisable in mid october/

It depends entirely on what you plan to do and where you plan to go. If you are visiting Edinburgh and other cities and mainland tourist attractions it should be fine. if you are planning visits to the highlands and islands,and hoping to do more outdoor activities, then you will be more subject to the unpredictable weather.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scotland- advisable in mid october/

Let's put a positive spin on this. In upper NY you have fall with spectacular coloured trees. If you time it right, places like Dunkeld, you will see something similar but different. In other words, at that time of year Weather in the highlands probably isn't all that much different to weather up past Albany and over the Canadian border.

It might rain, there could be frosts at night, but night frosts probably imply clear blue skies during the day.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scotland- advisable in mid october/

and, in case you are wondering, clocks change this year on Sunday 27th October!!

7. Re: scotland- advisable in mid october/

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 06:21