We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Group tours of Scotland

Millersville...
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Small Group tours of Scotland

My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland next June and are looking at small-group (less than 20 pp) tour groups, such as Kensington, Odysseys Unlmited, Lynott, Backroads Touring, etc. I've seen a couple of (older) awful reviews of Lynott, but can anyone attest to any o fthe other groups?

We'd like to spend 10-12 days seeing the sights and some off-the beaten path, insider stuff, but tour companies make me nervous. Our other (more expensive) option is a driver guide, but we'd miss the experience of other travelers.

Any opinions are welcome, and thanks!

Millersville...
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

sgl, what type of tour are you looking for? Upscale? Low-key? I can give you some info on the ones I've found but I've not had much luck finding reviews on most of them.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,124 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

Tour companies catering to the more mature traveller include Lochs And Glens, and Highland Heritage, however both usually run full size coaches

sgl
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
251 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

I looking for a small group tour company that we can explore a few of the main sights, towns and scenery , a distillery, for 4 or 5 days - hopefully make a nice loop around the country. Spend a few days in Edinburgh at the beginning of our trip - then go to Glasgow for a few days before going to London for the last 3 - 4 days.

Millersville...
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

You could look at Odysseys Unlimited or Kensington Tours, although their tours seem to be longer, in the 7-10 day range. For shorter tours, check Go Scotland Tours (lots of 3-6 day tours), Rabbies, Best Scottish Tours, Cameron Tours (private, customized tours), and Back Roads Touring. They all look good, but we were looking for something longer. I can't vouch for any of them, but they all look wonderful.

Millersville...
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

I'll check them out, thanks Bobelinks!

sgl
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
251 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

I'll check them out - thanks. We now have our frequent flyer award tickets - so we are going. We know when. Just have to figure out where.

Millersville...
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

MarciaCalifornina - When you worked with Jim or other driver/guides, was it just two of you or were there more in your group? I'm really leaning toward a driver/guide at this point but there will only be two of us, and I thought an opinion would be great. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

We have traveled in Scotland 4 times with Jim and 1 time with John. It was just the two of us. I didn't use them for the entire time we were there. We took day trips out of Edinburgh using Rabbies and Timberbush. They were wonderful and the small group of not more than 16 people made their friendly driver/guides quite responsive to the group.

Having a private tour is very special. You see exactly what you want, and if you have a guide like Jim, you see places you never knew were there. He knows Scotland and has all sorts of stories to tell you along the way. He also makes sure he stops for lunch at some little place that is interesting and has great food.

If you click on my photo, you can see my trip report from November, 2012.

I just reread my trip report and recommendation for Jim. I think this will give you an idea of how it felt having a private guide. Our review is on the Trip Advisor link on Jim's web site. invernesschauffeur.com/inverness_private_tou…

Millersville...
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

That's great, thanks Marcia. I'll read your trip review but II really wanted to hear that it wasn't weird being just two people with a guide. I had a great email from Jim and he sounds terrific, so that's probably the way we'll go. Having that "insider" info is what will make the trip even better. Thanks so much for your reply. Can't wait to read your trip report.

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

Be sure that you have Jim for your guide and that it is a tour rather than transporting. And, mention my name. Good luck!!!!!!!