We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in Rothesday or Dunoon?

Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight in Rothesday or Dunoon?

On a trip back to Scotland in 2014 would like to catch the Ferry from Helensburgh and make an overnight stop at one of its stops and catch the Ferry back the next day. Could someone please recommend where? We would love to see some nice scenery, walks, have a meal and a drink in a traditional type of pub and that's about it. If you could recommend somewhere to stay that would be a bonus.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight in Rothesday or Dunoon?

I am not sure I would recommend either for an overnight.

Also there are no regular ferries from Helensburgh.They operate Gourock-Dunoon and Wemyss Bay -Rothesay.

Will you have a car? That would give more options.

Or get a train upto Oban which is attractive for a short break.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight in Rothesday or Dunoon?

Yes, a car would be advantageous. You could drive to Dunoon via a very scenic route, and from there get a very short ferry trip to Rothesay. (And from there, back to the mainland at Wemyss Bay).

As well as Oban, Inveraray would make a good stopover....

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight in Rothesday or Dunoon?

If making a direct choice between the two I'd say Rothesay has more to offer.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight in Rothesday or Dunoon?

Any reason why Helensburgh? The only service which we had was to Gourock but it stopped last year. The only vessel which calls to the pier now is the Waverley, which does Summer trips.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight in Rothesday or Dunoon?

Can't say I'd want to stay in either place, once had a weeks holiday in Dunoon and spent lots on petrol, getting away from the place! Try an alternative route if you can.

6. Re: Overnight in Rothesday or Dunoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 05:17