We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic route Glasgow to Mull suggestions?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Most scenic route Glasgow to Mull suggestions?

We are starting to plan our trip to parts of Scotland. We are thinking of arriving by train into Glasgow (from London), collecting a car and driving out of Glasgow to Tobermorey on Isle of Mull. (we will visit Glasgow later on the trip). I am keen to visit the Macintosh house at Helensburgh, so would like to do this en route to Mull. We are happy to stay overnight en route to Mull, so that we can see the scenery on the way to Mull. I would appreciate suggested routes and a town, village or area to overnight, as checking on Google maps indicates it is a long drive from Glasgow to Mull. Given we will have come by train that day, visited Helensburgh, I thought an intermediate overnight stop prior to Mull might make sense. I welcome comments and suggestions on this draft plan.

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Most scenic route Glasgow to Mull suggestions?

The most scenic route by some margin is through Callander through Glencoe and either a stop off in Fort William or straight across the Corran ferry. This is the way we went this year and while not at all quickest is the prettiest.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Most scenic route Glasgow to Mull suggestions?

No 11's route is indeed very scenic, but it is also quite a detour, and would not help you to maximise your time on Mull.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Most scenic route Glasgow to Mull suggestions?

Not sure I agree about the scenic grandeur of Fort WIlliam itself, tho I admit Glencoe is a winner.

Given we're discussing how to get to Mull and don't know about the shape of the later part of your trip, it may be perfectly viable to see Glencoe etc later. There are a couple of ways of getting there from Oban.

14. Re: Most scenic route Glasgow to Mull suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:18