We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celtic Legend Car Rental

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Celtic Legend Car Rental

Hi Folks,

Anyone got any up to date info on Celtic Legend Car Rentals. I see a few old ones, wonder if anyone has had any recent experiences. I see their website somehow links to Arnold Clark, but prices are cheaper. Wonder if they're worth giving a go?

Info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

JaSm

44 replies to this topic
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celtic Legend Car Rental

Yes they do seem to be cheaper. We booked with them for 12 days in July and received good help from William Wallace.The only thing to remember is that their airport offices at Edinburgh and Manchester (our only experiences) are not with all the other car rentals so check carefully. Rae24

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Celtic Legend Car Rental

I used Celtic Legend in May 2011 and in June 2012, and had absolutely no complaints. I have no idea why they're less expensive, but they definitely were. The first time, I made sure to confirm my reservation directly with Arnold Clark, the second time I had no concerns. As rae24 mentions, the Edinburgh rental office is a little further away than most of the others, but it was really only a short bus ride from the terminal. Both times, the vehicles were clean and reasonably new, and apparently in good repair. When I return to Scotland, I'll almost certainly go through Celtic Legend for my car hire.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celtic Legend Car Rental

I would stay away from them at all costs. We just finished 10 days in Scotland and had nothing but trouble and it wound up costing us much more money than booking with Hertz or Budget.

First the owner William Wallace was incredibly difficult to get ahold of. He did get us a quote right away but then any other communication we couldn't reach him. There was no phone number and he wouldn't reply to our emails for weeks on end. He also screwed up and "forgot" to even make our reservation with the Edinburgh office so when we showed up they didn't have a car in our class.

Also Arnold Clark is EXTREMELY hard to find!!!!!!!!!! They aren't at the airport car rental like everyone else. We wound up driving around Paisley for over an hour due to 2 of their employees giving us wrong directions (and glasgow having piss poor street signs) and missed our flight to Iceland which now has cost us an additional $1000 to get a new flight. Don't do it.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celtic Legend Car Rental

Couple of things here. Firstly the EDINBURGH airport Arnold Clark is not difficult to find. It is a short shuttle journey and easy to access from the main road into the airport. The GLASGOW AIRPORT Arnold Clark is 5-10 minutes drive from the airport in Paisley, and not so obvious, but there are maps & directions available to download from the Arnold Clark website.

William Wallace is not the owner of Arnold Clark so there's various people being blamed here for a bad experience. Arnold Clark's fault is just being difficult to find apparently. There's nothing said about the car or cost.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celtic Legend Car Rental

In response, booking with Celtic legend is essentially booking with Arnold Clark since that is the rental company where you pick up the car. this was NOT made aware to us by William so when we showed up at the airport we wandered around looking for the Celtic Legend desk everywhere. We asked someone at the Hertz desk where they were located and he had never heard of them. Then we found out from another desk that we needed to take the Arnold Clark shuttle.

Arnold Clark couldn't find our reservation so the girl in the office called William and he admitted he forgot to make it. Very unprofessional in my book.

And yes we did get directions from Google and the website but being in a strange city with terrible signage we got lost. Then we called for directions and were told to go a different way than was on our original directions. That got us to the Arnold Clark dealership which is in a different spot than the rental. The gentleman at the dealership than gave us different directions. We were very frustrated and what should have taken 6 minutes took us over an hour to find.

We had headaches from both companies and I would not use either one again.

And yes the car itself was fine but the lower cost was not worth the headache we experienced.

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celtic Legend Car Rental

May 2014

Just got done with our vacation from Scotland and used Celtic Legend Car Rental. There were a group of 4 of us who traveled together in Scotland. Celtic Legend Car Rental uses Arnold Car Rental - I do not know if they are one and the same. We talked with Willie Wallace through internet repeatedly before going and he helped us choose the right vehicle for the size of our party.

Staff were very helpful - starting from they picked us up in Edinburgh to the time we dropped off the vehicle in Manchester UK. I recommend that you try the GPS in the lot before you go if you are not from the UK as putting in the addresses is different than in the states.

There was construction at our drop off site with staff talking us in the parking garage by telephone the night before we were to leave the car. They immediately transported us to the airport.

They were very helpful, polite, and the price was as quoted... there were no surprises except for us learning how to drive on the left side of the road and learning how to go through their roundabouts.

Hope this helps.... I would use them again without any reservation.

Houston
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Celtic Legend Car Rental

have used him in 2010 & 2012 and getting ready to use again.

the car is thru Arnold Clark at the airport but you do take a short shuttle ride.

paperwork a little tedious, but worth the savings in my opinion.

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Celtic Legend Car Rental

Absolutely the best I have tried so far. Very clean, almost new cars, never a problem.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Celtic Legend Car Rental

Hi,

do you know if you have to pay fees if you are 24 years old?

Greetings

SoCal
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Celtic Legend Car Rental

We just returned from a trip to Scotland, renting at Edinburgh and returning at Stirling using Celtic Legend for car rental. It had been a couple of years since we had last rented a car in another country - Willie W. was patient and provided quick replies to my questions prior to booking and our arrival - and I would not hesitate to use Celtic Legend again. Working with Arnold Clark was very easy. The EDI car rental location was two minutes from the airport. As advised by WW, I called AC from the courtesy phone by baggage claim and the shuttle was there by the time we walked to pick-up site #1, the meeting point. Paperwork was typical and not excessive. We opted for the buydown of the deductible and also got a GPS - agent clearly and quickly explained terms of lease, including exceptions to deductible (wheel/tire damage & using gas instead of diesel). We had four adults and had a four-door VW Passat. Using Celtic Legend as the booking agent was a good choice in our case as WW served as the middle man, answering our every question and advising based on our trip plans.

Edited: 30 March 2015, 13:11
Reply to: Celtic Legend Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted