We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh and Glasgow August 2014

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh and Glasgow August 2014

I am debating going to Scotland in August, yes I know it is festival time but I will be away in June so have to space thing out. This is part of a UK heritage trip.

So the charter would fly into Glasgow. I am thinking for ease of luggage handling I would base there and visit Edinburgh on a day trip or 2.

I am not able to do a lot of walking due to a disability however I do walk here 2 a day 15 to 20 minutes. Probably the hoho bus for both cities is an idea. So I need to know how much time is ok for

both. I see the comments on Loch Ness but a Highlands tour might be nice. I will have no car .

I am going to Belfast after maybe by rail and ferry or air.

I have allotted 5 days or could make it as much as 7 for the 2 cities .

Does this seem to be a reasonable time?

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow August 2014

It is certainly easy to stay in Glasgow and visit Edinburgh by train. City centre to city centre journey takes approx 50 minutes. Both cities are compact but do require a fair bit of walking so the HOHO buses are a good idea.

Loch Ness is not worth a day trip to be honest. A long way to go and most of the day will be spent on a bus looking out the window.

Have a look at tour operators such as Rabbies and Timberbush for potential tours.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow August 2014

ok thanks will do

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow August 2014

Sounds a good plan. Bear in mind Edinburgh is hillier than Glasgow but the hoho bus will take care of a lot of that. No need to avoid Edinburgh during the festival - I certainly head across most years - it is just much more expensive to stay there during festival time.

Definitely worth looking at highland tours - and there are far better things to see than Loch Ness.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow August 2014

. Got a b and b picked out already in Glasgow. Edinburgh has a connection to my family an Uncle worked there.

I tend to plan way ahead. I did read the Loch Ness comments, sort of like the Blarney stone thing in Ireland.

Just want to get a real feel for Scotland.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow August 2014

Check out Rabbies for ideas for highland tours:

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g186534…

http://www.rabbies.com/

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow August 2014

I did Suzy thanks and I like your town Adelaide stayed in Glenelg twice

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow August 2014

I'm glad you like it. :) And sorry, I didn't notice that William had already suggested Rabbies tours.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow August 2014

no worries Suzy.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow August 2014

Definitely a good idea to base yourself in Glasgow and commute to Edinburgh as the prices sky rocket during festival season and to be honest the influx of people can be a bit much so a quick train/bus journey and you get away from it all.

Glasgow is also not far from Loch Lomond which I much prefer to Loch Ness (ok I'm biased having been born in the Balloch area) so you could arrange a day trip or book a B&B and be a bit more adventurous enjoying the National Park or Highlands and maybe take in a trip to a whisky distillery

Also as you have a year to plan ahead I would look into local transport rather than the HOHO bus as it will work out much cheaper. A day ticket in Edinburgh is only £3.50 and takes you all over the city and beyond, just check out Lothian buses. The HOHO bus is great to give you a tour of the city but not really worth more than one journey

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow August 2014

or I could do both. When you have a disabiity the planning is a bit different