We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking across Scotland for a month

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Topic
Backpacking across Scotland for a month

Hey Y'all, Myself and four of my friends are planning on backpacking across Scotland as a celebration of our 21st birthdays, it won't happen until the summer of 2015 though, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a route that will hit some major cities but also hit the scenic awesomeness that is scotland?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacking across Scotland for a month

There are a few things that will be of benefit to you and your friends: a good guidebook or two and some maps. Try the Rough Guide and Eyewitness guides as a start point to sort out what you would like to see and how much time you may wish to spend in each location. Maps will be handy, period.

Will you and your friends travel by bus, coach, rail or car? Cars aren't necessary in cities but will be useful for some journeys in the countryside, as once away from motorways and A roads you'll find plenty of scenery. Do you plan to camp, stay in hostels, B&B or inexpensive hotels?

If you visit in June, you'll find that the days are considerably longer than in Phoenix; www.timeanddate.com for sunrise and sunset times.

You and your friends should decide what *you* would like to see and do on your holiday, and go from there.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacking across Scotland for a month

Do you mean backpacking as in lightweight camping and walking, or backpacking as in travelling around by road and/or rail with a rucksack?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpacking across Scotland for a month

If you are looking for long-distance walking routes start here:

walkhighlands.co.uk/long-distance-routes.sht…

But I'm guessing that in fact you are going to go from place to place using public transport, and simply have a backpack rather than a suitcase?

4. Re: Backpacking across Scotland for a month

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 06:32