We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmastime in Scotland

Connecticut
11 posts
Save Topic
Christmastime in Scotland

We're four adults planning a week in Scotland at Christmastime: 3 nights in Edinburgh, sightseeing in Dunfermline and St. Andrews, and spending 1 night each in Dundee, Aberdeen, Stirling/Dunblane and Glasgow. As the weather will be uncertain and many attractions are not open at that time of year, should we consider spending a 2nd night in Glasgow rather than adding Aberdeen? Thanks for any advice you might offer on scenery and overnight choices.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,822 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmastime in Scotland

as nice as aberdeen is we are talking deepest darkest winter with limited daylight hours so i would get an extra night in glasgow.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmastime in Scotland

I would consider dropping Dundee as well, to be honest - unless you have some major reason for going there. You might enjoy somewhere with more of a village feel like Callander more. Bear in mind daylight hours will be limited and roads further north may be risky.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,391 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmastime in Scotland

Add another night in St.Andrews - plenty of permanent beauty to amuse you for 2 days and if you must you could always drive over to Dundee - it only takes 30 minutes. Or a second night in Glasgow is also a good option. You say "Christmastime" - does that mean 25th and 26th December? because of course attractions will be closed although many shops open on Boxing Day!

Woody x

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,353 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmastime in Scotland

I would not even go to Aberdeen in the middle of summer ;)

Lots of people seem to like Aviemore at that time of year but when exactly do you mean to visit?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,822 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmastime in Scotland

Oh does christmastime mean actual xmas rather than the holiday period? I've never heard the phrase before and I've been around the block a few times;)

Connecticut
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmastime in Scotland

Thanks to everyone for all the help regarding our planning. I meant the holiday season, anytime between Christmas Eve through New Year's Day. We were planning to spend Christmas in Edinburgh and see some of the central area of the country. Regards.

Connecticut
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmastime in Scotland

Thanks for all the helpful ideas. Christmas in Edinburgh before heading outside the city. Regards.

Edited: 06 September 2013, 17:20
8. Re: Christmastime in Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 05:19