We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days in Scotland

Prince Frederick...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4 Days in Scotland

Arrive in Prestwick Sept. 27th. Driving to glenfinnan and spending the night at The Prince's House Hotel. Plan to take the ferry to Skye on Sat. morning. Hoping for good weather for our 1 day on Skye. No real plan for the next 2 nights. I an traveling with my husband,my mom and my brother. Mom wants to go to Loch Ness, which was the reason for this trip, a 4 day stopover on our way to a planned trip to Ireland for her cousin's 80 th b- day. Do we drive to Drumnadrochit on Saturday after a day on Skye, and spend the night or stay closer to Skye Saturday night and drive to Loch Ness Saturday morning? Night 3 was thinking somewhere of staying around Pitlochry? Then back to Prestwick Monday night before an early morning flight on Tuesday. We have never been to Scotland and would like to see as much as we can within reason. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Days in Scotland

Pitlochry is going to be out of your way, since you will be going back to Prestwick. Loch Ness is very long and there are places to stay all along it. Unless you have your heart set on visiting Urquhart Castle I would spend the night on Loch Ness in a town or B&B on the southern end. You will already be doing a fly-by of Skye, so this will give you more time to see Skye, up to almost another day and the isle is much more beautiful and scenic the the Loch Ness area. I would head south from there not east. I have two suggestions for the next night:

1. Glencoe is a gorgeous area and a little more than an hours drive from Fort Augustus on Loch Ness so you could spend a good chunk of time there for your mom before heading to Glencoe.

2. Loch Lomond another gorgeous area that would put you closer to Glasgow if you want to do less driving that last day or at least be more relaxed about making it back to Prestwick for your last night.

I think part of

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
964 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Days in Scotland

I also think that Pitlochry would be rather out of your way. The roads in the area you are going to are not fast and there is a risk that you'll spend more time in the car than actually experiencing the country. Remember too that we drive on the left and patrol is more than twice the price in the USA. Given your limited amount if time I suggest sticking to the areas you have already identified. You'd probably enjoy seeing Eilean Donan Castle too. The area around Loch Lomond is very picturesque and is relatively near to Prestwick. For ferry information to the Isle of Skye (Mallaig to Armadale) see www.calmac.co.uk. Have a good trip.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 10:27
Prince Frederick...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Days in Scotland

Thanks so much for your help. I was worried that my plan was too ambitious. Will rethink it now! Do you think a stop at Stirling Castle on the Monday could be worked in? Or are there other places to consider.My mom is in good shape for 71, but we won't be doing any hikes or challenging walks.I was thinking a boat tour on Loch Ness, maybe a distillery stop, seems only right when in Scotland, and a castle or two. Was reading about the Aonach Mor gondola, any thoughts on that? Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Days in Scotland

Stirling Castle is also a bit out of your way, and with how much you are trying to cover I don't think you can give it proper time to fully appreciate it, although it is a great castle.

I would recommend Eilean Donan as well. There is also Kilchurn Castle between Oban and Loch Awe. Oban is a nice distillery and has great seafood. That could be a really nice stop on your way south. The oban distillery tour is free if you sign up for a friends of malts membership, i believe the website is malts.com, which is free, ahead of time. There are about a dozen other distilleries also included in the membership.

My favourite location for a castle is Tioram, a small detour between Glenfinnan and Mallaig. Its not much in castle terms, in fact its privately owned and you cannot go inside of it, but its located in the middle of the loch, and at low tide you can walk out to it. Definitely off the beaten path. You can drive down to the beach where there is parking and literally it is right in front of you.

5. Re: 4 Days in Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 05:17