We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions please?

Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions please?

Currently planning a trip to the UK in March.

My husband and I are training up to Edinburgh for a few days before our daughter and son in law meet up with us. We intend to drive from Edinburgh to Dornoch ( to possibly stay in the castle there overnight)

I see on google maps the drive time is 3 hours 43. ( dont have to take the suggested route.....if there are towns and villages you think we should stop in at, would love to know)

What attractions / places should we stop at on the way......don't mind if it ends up taking us two days to get there, if there is places of interest along the way.

We are interested in landscape, walks, and places of historical significance......but open to any suggestions you may have.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Dornoch
Dornoch
Caithness and Sutherland, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions please?

WHat do you intend to do after Dornoch? Might have a bearing on a route.

Here's a first suggestion: Instead of taking the main road Perth-Aviemore-Inverness try Perth-Blairgowrie-Glenshee-Braemar-some other parts of Deeside-Tomintoul-Inverness. A much slower route and a lot more worth scenery and things to do.

March is getting towards the end of Winter. Glenshee is a skiing area and the road is quite high, at about 2000 feet. High by our standards anyway. A fair chance the road will have no snow, and it only occasionally is closed, but you can't predict road conditions. I mention it because some people in NZ are well used to snow, others aren't. But Gore is right at the S of S Island?

Mentioned in this post
Dornoch
Dornoch
Perth
Perth
Perth and Kinross, UK
Aviemore
Aviemore
Badenoch and Strathspey, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Blairgowrie
Blairgowrie
Perth and Kinross, UK
Braemar
Braemar
Aberdeenshire, UK
Deeside Inn
Deeside Inn
668 Reviews
Ballater, UK
Tomintoul
Tomintoul
Moray, UK
Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions please?

Yes it is Derek.....we get regular dumps of snow here where we live. It will probably be closer to very early April actually, but that probably makes no odds. Just keen to see the highlands really.......which is why we thought about staying at Dornach.......just HAVE to stay in an old building preferable a castle while we are in Scotland, something we certainly cannot do here!

I actually have no idea what we are going to do after Dornoch!!!! Hubby is keen to visit St Sndrews, but we will do that from Edinburgh I would think, however if he can't get a game at that time, he might be keen to go back again on our way back to Staffordshire to try his luck again......sadly we booked our trip too late to apply for a tee time on the Old Course, so he has to just turn up and take his chance . ( mad golfer)

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Dornoch
Dornoch
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions please?

Google maps may say it is 3hrs 43 minutes but I would take this with a pinch of salt.

I would add about another 45 minutes to that just to be on the safe side and that doesn't allow for stopping to take in the views etc.

4. Re: Suggestions please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 05:17