We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland Itinerary Help Please

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland Itinerary Help Please

My husband and I are travelling to the UK next year for holidays and are planning to self-drive around Scotland for two and a half to three weeks. I realise that we can't see everything in 3 weeks but are hoping that it will be enought time to get a taste of the history, culture and landscape of the country. I have put together a very rough itinerary and would appreciate any suggestions or comments you can give me. Thanks for your help.

Edinburgh 4 nights

Stirling 1 night

Aberdeen 2 nights

Inverness 2 nights

Wick or Thurso 2 nights (suggestions on which is the best place to stay - Wick or Thurso would be greatly appreciated)

Isle of Skye 2 nights

Glencoe 2 nights

Glasgow 3 nights

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Wick
Wick
Caithness and Sutherland, UK
Thurso
Thurso
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Maryland
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help Please

Trim something off and spend more time in Skye. My Opinion :)

Cheers!

Sunny

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,868 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help Please

As you say, you can't do everything. A few thoughts:

- delay picking up hire car until you leave Edinburgh. You don't need it there.

- Stirling is a short day trip from Edinburgh by train.

- Thurso and Wick are a long long drive and not a top priority IMO - I would spend more time on the west coast. Have another night or two on Skye, also visit the north west mainland around Ullapool, Gairloch, Applecross. Also consider Mull.

- I would also skip Aberdeen.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 19 October 2013, 08:06
Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Thurso
Thurso
Wick
Wick
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Ullapool
Ullapool
Scottish Highlands, UK
Gairloch
Gairloch
Scottish Highlands, UK
Applecross
Applecross
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help Please

I agree with the previous replies entirely. Unless you have specific reasons to visit Aberdeen and Thurso-Wick, I would trim them off your route and spend longer on the west coast - Skye, Torridon, Gairloch.

Enjoy!

Abs :)

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Thurso
Thurso
Wick
Wick
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Torridon
Torridon
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Gairloch
Gairloch
Scottish Highlands, UK
Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help Please

We are just back from a trip which included 10 days in Scotland, self drive. following on from advice provided by the list (thanks to dhmellor and the good witch, and others) We drove from Gairloch (visited Inverewe gardens) then travelled via Torridon, Shieldaig and the coast road to Applecross, and over the Bealach na Ba pass. Fantastic views to Skye...yes a perfect sunny day in late September. We spent 4 nights on Skye and would have liked an extra day or two. We also stayed at Stirling, for 4 nights and used the train to Glasgow, avoiding the bother of parking there. This gave us flexibility for visiting places outside of Glasgow as well and we would do the same in future. Also in planning journey times do remember those narrow roads are not built for fast travel. Have fun planning and enjoy the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Gairloch
Gairloch
Scottish Highlands, UK
Torridon
Torridon
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Shieldaig Lodge
Shieldaig Lodge
215 Reviews
Gairloch, UK
Applecross
Applecross
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,960 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help Please

Just a couple things.

Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stirling can all be done from a base in Edinburgh or Glasgow. I'd pick Edinburgh. I'd also absolutely do this at the start of your trip so that you can knock out any jet lag. The other benefit is you can visit via train and hold off on the car until you leave.

Aberdeen. I've posted this advice at least a dozen times. Do not confuse Aberdeen with Aberdeenshire (and the Royal Deeside)!!!!! Aberdeen is an OK city, but it's a city. Aberdeenshire, which is roughly speaking, everything west and northwest of Aberdeen up to and including the Cairngorms. It is absolutely beautiful rolling hills, mountains and valleys. Quaint towns and villages. And home to many, many outstanding castles (stately mansions and ruins). If you have an interest in castles, then you can't miss AberdeenSHIRE. Best ones, IMHO are Crathes, Craigievar, Frasier and Drum in the Royakl Deeside. Fyvie and Dunnotar are a bit north and south of Aberdeen. And heading in this direction from Edinburgh would be Falkland Palace and Glamis Castle, which you would miss if you only visit the west coast. There is also some great hiking opportunities starting with Loch Muich and Glen Quich in the Royal Deeside.

Inverness or somewhere a bit south/east is a great base for visiting the distilleries of Speyside. Nice rolling hills here, valleys and nice towns here and the whisky is much smoother than the more peaty, smoky varieties found on Islay and for instance Tallisker on Skye.

My 2 cents worth....

Kevin

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Stirling
Stirling
Stirling, UK
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Aberdeenshire
Aberdeenshire
Scotland, UK
Royal Deeside
Royal Deeside
Aberdeenshire, UK
Deeside Inn
Deeside Inn
668 Reviews
Ballater, UK
Falkland
Falkland
Fife, UK
Glamis Castle
Glamis Castle
1,202 Reviews
Glamis, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Speyside Tours
Speyside Tours
259 Reviews
Dufftown, UK
Islay
Islay
The Hebrides, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help Please

Thanks so much for all of your help it is really great. We will take out Wick/Thurso and spend some more time in the areas you have suggested.

Mentioned in this post
Wick
Wick
Thurso
Thurso
7. Re: Scotland Itinerary Help Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 06:22