We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B's and Hotels

Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
B&B's and Hotels

I am visiting Northern England and Scotland for 3 weeks in June 2014. Free-lancing, I was wondering if the vacancy for B&B's or hotel is not an issue. There will be 4 of us, driving throughout the country. We hate a fixed schedule and hope that the availablity of these B&B's or hotel are readily available. Appreciate any advice on this subject.

Thank You for any response,

Grant

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B's and Hotels

I can understand your desire to travel on spec, but I would book at least half the nights of a three week holiday in advance.

Use www.rac.co.uk and www.theaa.com for route plans and driving times, whether on motorways, A roads or B roads. You may decide to stay in one place for three or four days and take day trips, so booking in advance would assure you of a place to sleep at - ideally - a better rate than one booked at the last minute.

Depending on where you travel you may find limited accommodation as well. June won't be as busy as July and August but I doubt you would be pleased to have to spend an extra 30 - 60 minutes some days looking for a hotel that's worth a stay and does not have astronomical rates.

london
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B's and Hotels

this works best in more rural areas, for cities I think I'd want to pre-book ... two tips ...

- local tourist information offices can often help with bookings, either by giving you a list of local accommodation, or even contacting people for you (they might charge a fee for this)

- if you contact a B+B which is full, ask them for suggestions of other places as the "B+B grapevine" can work well

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,961 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B's and Hotels

This would work if

1. there were 2 of you

2. you were not 'fussy' about where you ended up staying

3. you are prepared to spend a couple of hours each day dealing with finding somewhere to stay

4. you are in an urban area - nowhere remote

B&Bs in Scotland are generally in people's homes. Typically they will have 2 letting rooms. Sometimes more. You'll need 2 rooms. The schools break up on 27th June where I live. Lots of people travel in June to avoid the school holidays so June is high season. If there's a wedding or somesuch in a rural area all the beds for miles can be booked up.

Chances are you'll get somewhere to stay but it might not be what you would ideally choose

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B's and Hotels

Sun -Thurs you shouldn't have a problem,though as others have said,maybe not always your first choice. Fri/Sat is more of an issue,especially from May onwards,given pressure from people enjoying weekend trips.

I'd nearly always go for private B&Bs than hotels as you get so much more for your money and if you look at 3 star and above they are usually excellent.Most have websites.Prices don't change in B&Bs either so they stay the same price no matter how 'last minute' you book.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,781 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B's and Hotels

I think the internet has made this a lot more difficult! Rather than looking on spec every night, I suggest booking a couple of days ahead using the tourist info (as described above) or just a tablet/ smart phone. Otherwise you could end up driving round for ages each evening trying to find somewhere to stay (and then find the only place with vacancies is a very expensive dump).

6. Re: B&B's and Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 04:19