We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland in Sept or Oct?

NYC
9 posts
Save Topic
Scotland in Sept or Oct?

Hi,

I'm attending a conference in Edinburgh beginning Oct 8 and decided to stay an extra 2 weeks to tour Scotland (the trip would end Oct 25). So far all my European friends think I'm crazy to visit Scotland in October, because of the weather. Do you think I should fly out 2 weeks earlier (Sept 23 - Oct 12)and end my trip with the conference? Is the weather typically cold and rainy in Oct?

Thanks for any info...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland in Sept or Oct?

I would have said go earlier than later to get as much daylight as possible. I would also expect the general weather to be OK though with risk of some real changes in conditions (like much of the UK)

Late Sept on we do get some pretty blustery and wet days but equally can get really good spells!

You should have temps from mid 50s upwards. Not balmy but certainly OK for outdoor activities.

Go for it and have a great time.

NYC
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland in Sept or Oct?

Thanks cornish_pastie... I guess I'll head over late Sept. Keep a look out as I will most likely be making more inquiries in late August.

Thanks again!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland in Sept or Oct?

Really, if your European friends are put off by the weather in October, then Scotland is not for them.....

Yes, better weather occurs more in May-Sept. but October won't be too bad, and I've had wonderful weeks then. The point about daylight is a good one.

Late September is good -avoid the midges, school holidays, "fair weather" friends, etc. Apart from May its my favourite time.

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland in Sept or Oct?

September can be a glorious month in Scotland weatherwise. As mentioned it's likely to be much quieter for all sorts of reasons.

Come and roam! I bet you won't be disappointed! Any ideas about what you might like to see and do?

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland in Sept or Oct?

I would say September also...we can have some lovely days then but as with any temperate Northern region you will get rain. The tree colours will be nice in either month!

What could be nicer than after a day touring to come back to a warm hotel with open fires and have a dram or three?

My mountain climbing sister always tells that there is no such thing as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing!

Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland in Sept or Oct?

Scotland is beautiful in any weather, the weather only changes the lighting!!!

Nothing more powerful in terms of view than coming through the glens on a dark overcast rainy day - makes you think of what it must have been like back in the days of the clan wars

7. Re: Scotland in Sept or Oct?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 04:16