We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Budget

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Food Budget

Hello... I hope that someone can help me, even though I have asked this question before but I really need some clarity. My sister and I will be in Scotland from 17 - 21 December 2013 (17-19 Glasgow, 19-21 Edinburgh). Please please please can someone give me advise on a food budget. We have paid for accommodation and major transportation and will prepare an "entertainment" budget but we would really like an idea of how much to plan for food each day. We would ideally like to eat Breakfst Lunch and Dinner, staying away from takeawys at all possible, We are 24 & 25 years old, not heavy drinkers but we would like to have a drink or two with dinner. We will be staying in hotels close to the city centres. Suggestions on restuarants would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Budget

You could pay anywhere between £5-£10 for breakfast, £10 to £20+ for lunch , £10-£100+ for dinner. Depends on the establishment, any offers they may have (some pubs may well have buy one get one free or buy one get one half price) and so on.

Are you bringing only cash? Most places will accept credit cards in which case it doesn't really matter does it?

If you simply fixed yourselves on a budget, you could easily choose to stay within that by deciding on places as you look at their menus, I'd say that as long as your budget was above £30 a day each it wouldn't be an issue. The higher the budget the easier and the less restrictive obviously.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Budget

http://www.5pm.co.uk/

Have a look at the above for offers.

Breakfast in hotels can be expensive but if you let people know where you are staying they may be able to suggest alternatives e.g local coffee shops.

Many restaurants do pre theatre or early evening offers where you can eat well and fairly cheaply.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Budget

If you're on a tight budget, you can always buy sandwiches for lunches.

If you have a sufficiently huge cooked hotel breakfast, we often find we don't need or want lunch at all.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Budget

Martin C - you are right about a big breakfast being a filler for some people.

Personally I don't really "do" breakfast and often skip it totally when I am travelling.

The OP could start they day with a bowl of porridge which would keep them going for a good while.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Budget

Thank you all for your responses! Marint C, pur budget isnt too tight, well I dont think, looking at about 60 pounds per day, but that would need to include entertainment...

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Budget

Depending on what entertainment you are after you can have a cheap(ish) night out

Have a look here http://www.theskinny.co.uk/ and here http://www.list.co.uk/ for ideas of things to do.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,297 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Budget

You can get breakfast at Greggs bakers for as little as £2 and sandwiches and drinks at Poundland for £1. Then as high as you like.

In Edinburgh I had very good meals at Cafe Truva (Turkish/British) for a main meal lunch time at £8 with homemade chocolates and deserts and La Lanterna (Italian) for £4.95 3 course lunch. These were recommended to me on here.

Hannover Street is full of restaurants from all corners of the world including the usual chains offering lunches for around £5.

For evening meals there were good value menus in the pubs as well as restaurants.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,359 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Budget

You can eat very cheaply in places like Weatherspoon Pubs and they are as happy to serve tea & coffee as alcohol In central Edinburgh you have Standing Orders & Alexander Graham Bell. Close to Holyrood Palace at the foot of the Royal Mile is the Serenity Cafe which produces very good food at a very reasonable price and the best home made burgers. Another good place to eat on a budget is a lot of the big supermarkets like Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury's have restaurants with main courses generally available at under £5

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Budget

Thank you all so much for your help! Feel a lot more comfortable with the budget now!

10. Re: Food Budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:17