We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland in early March....

Ridgway, Colorado...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scotland in early March....

My husband and I are traveling to Scotland the second week of March (flying into Edinburgh). Not an ideal time to visit but the only chance we had with our schedules. There is so much of Scotland that we want to see but unsure of the best approach due to weather conditions. My husband has visited before and rented a car...he really enjoyed having the freedom to drive from place to place. I really want to see the Hebrides and the Highlands but unsure about the best way to approach it at the time of year we intend to visit. Would love some advice on how to get the most out of our time there. ANY advice would be appreciated. Thanks ~ Karen Rae Shaw

Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland in early March....

I would reconsider flying into Edinburgh if you want to see the west coast islands ?

Inverness would make more sense as a trip across the kessock bridge opens the door to so much, particularly all the roads and ferries.

Ridgway, Colorado...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland in early March....

We can certainly fly into whatever city makes sense. Sadly, we will only be in Scotland from March 8th and take a departure flight out of Edinburgh on the 14th. Would you have recommendations for making the most of our time? Best spots that we should NOT miss?

Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland in early March....

I don't think you can fly Glasgow to Inverness, Edinburgh to Inverness. You CAN fly Gatwick or Amsterdam to Inverness, both of which are commonly used as hubs for flights to places around Europe. Your carrier might help you with ticketing and ongoing flights.

There are flights from Glasgow to Stornoway or Benbecula, or Edinburgh - Stornoway.

So you have options.

A lot depends on your budget, obviously.

Assuming you drive, flying into Glasgow makes sense - the obvious route is via Loch Lomond, perhaps with a diversion to Oban, and then to Fort WIlliam, and there are two roads to Skye: to Mallaig, and the ferry, or Kyle of Lochalsh and the bridge. But there are permutations depending on how long you want to take over that part of the journey.

Difficult to assess 'must see' places without knowing your interests.

Try doing some investigation on Undiscovered Scotland which will give a lot of unbiased detail regading venues, region by region.

Regarding castles, houses, gardens, you're early in the season and many will be closed. But some won;t be!

There are some maps along with lots of ticketing details for ferries

The beginning of March is the end of winter rather than spring, so expect the trees in the highlands to be leafless (well the deciduous ones anyway) and for there to be snow on high ground. I'd suggest you think about a plan A and a plan B, then you can vary your itinerary according to the prevailing weather. Last MArch the South-West had deep snowdrifts in places, the March before was brilliant sun pretty much everywhere and snow had melted even on the high tops.

Maybe plan for cities and some countryside if the weather's poor, and have longer distance plans if the weather's good. Book a couple of night's accommodation before you arrive and use tourist offices and websites to plan a few days further ahead once you see what the weather's like? In early March you won't have problems over full hotels and guest houses.

Why not do some research, and then you can post more questions?

Edited: 10 November 2013, 01:15
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,588 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland in early March....

Good advice above. Early March is low season, so you can safely leave your planning to the last minute, or even just 'wing it' and arrange accommodation as you go.

For ferries to the Hebrides see www.calmac.co.uk. The ferries are unlikely to be fully booked at that time of year, so you should be able to just turn up and go on most routes, but it's better to phone them at least a few hours in advance, rather then turning up at a port and finding the ferry is full. But a more likely problem is disruption because of the weather - high winds can be a problem at any time of year, but especially around the equinoxes, of course. But if you are lucky with the weather it could be a wonderful time to visit.

5. Re: Scotland in early March....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 05:17