We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion for 4 days in Scotland, including highlands

Germany
Level Contributor
259 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion for 4 days in Scotland, including highlands

We are 5 women and are planning a 5 days / 4 nights trip to Scotland in May. I need some help with the itinerary, to get a Feeling what is possible in this short period of time, since I would like to book our hotels as soon as possible.

We will arrive in Glasgow on a Wednesday around noon and departing Glasgow an a Sunday afternoon.

Edinburgh and Skye are a must-do. My idea is to drive straight to Edinburgh after our arrival, spend the afternoon and night there and the next morning (Thursday) drive up to Ft. Williams, spend the night there. The next day (Friday) we would drive up to Skye, spend the night there (where would be a good place to spend the night?).

After Skye I am a bit lost. What would be an interesting route back to Glasgow? Our flight will leave around 03.30 p.m.

Thanks for your help.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion for 4 days in Scotland, including highlands

Obviously it would make more sense to arrive in Edinburgh but I assume there is a reason why that is not possible.

If you are starting in Glasgow rather than head to Edinburgh you should head up the A82 towards Ft William (no s) but stay somewhere else as Ft William is not that an attractive a place.

From there head on up to Skye to stay for a couple of nights before heading back towards Edinburgh via Pitlochry and Perth.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion for 4 days in Scotland, including highlands

I think you're looking to do far too much when you only have 3 full days in Scotland - it takes quite a long time to drive between many places in the Highlands cause a lot of the roads are small and windy. You'll spend practically your whole trip driving. For instance, depending where on Skye you're starting, you need to allow around 4-5 hours to drive to Glasgow airport - and that's without any time for stops/sightseeing.

Also, you don't need (or want) a car in Edinburgh - it's very busy and difficult to drive there and also difficult and expensive to park.

Tbh you'd be better to just focus on one area, either Skye and the W Highlands, or Edinburgh. If you focus on Skye you can drive to somewhere like Glencoe on the first day, then onto Skye the next and have time to tour around the island and then wend your way back down through places like Oban, Loch Lomond etc. Alternatively, don't bother with a car, take the train or bus to Edinburgh and stay there for 3 nights. There is plenty to do in Edinburgh and if you're really desperate to see the Highlands there are a few companies do popular day tours to the Highlands from Edinburgh and Glasgow, i.e. http://www.rabbies.com/

Given you are flying to Glasgow, I wouldn't bypass the city. There are plenty things to see and do here and excellent shopping too!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion for 4 days in Scotland, including highlands

If you're on Skye on your last morning [assuming you stay on Skye as long as possible], and your flight leaves at 3:30 pm, you need to be at the airport, having got rid ofthe car, at 1:30 pm. A route from Skye down the A82 (via Loch Lomond) is the obvious way to go and takes something like 5 hours. So little time to admire the views.

Skye needs 2 or 3 days to do it justice. Your schedule is tight.

Germany
Level Contributor
259 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion for 4 days in Scotland, including highlands

Ok, our plans seem to be too ambituous. Any suggestions where to go to see the "real" Scotland, i.e. wild countryside, little farm cottages, glens and lochs? We are not interested in towns, though we will spend half a day in Edinburgh. We definitely would like to do some easy hiking, but we also enjoy good food and spending time in coffee shops.

We fly in and out of Glasgow.

Thanks

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion for 4 days in Scotland, including highlands

The "real" Scotland includes cities, industrial landscapes et al.

If you want countryside then head west to places like Oban, Glencoe, Mull, Iona, Crinan, Inveraray

You can stay in Glasgow and get he train through to visit Edinburgh very easily. Trains are fast and frequent.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestion for 4 days in Scotland, including highlands

Alternatively, after Edinburgh head to Perthshire and loop to Glen Coe and down through Loch Lomond back to Glasgow.

http://www.dunkeldandbirnam.org.uk/

http://www.pitlochry.org/

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion for 4 days in Scotland, including highlands

There's no reason why you couldn't still make your way up through Fort William and into the highlands, and surround yourselves in the amazing mountain scape that is the Cairngorms. In fact Kessock Highland Lodges (look them up on here) are based just the other side of Inverness, capital of the highlands, and they're based in the middle of nowhere with fantastic views of the Beauly Firth, in easy reach of the Cairngorm National Park and on the doorstep of many traditional little villages. It's a very real taste of the highlands, whilst still having access to lots of tourist attractions, like watching out for the dolphins in the Moray Firth, fifteen minutes away, and of course lots of coffee shops.

8. Re: Suggestion for 4 days in Scotland, including highlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:15