We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can i check a travel office operating in Scotland?

Poland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
How can i check a travel office operating in Scotland?

We plan our first visit to Scotland next year. I always organize my travels by myself and the first time I want to do it by Scottish tourist office (self-guided walking in the West Highland Way). What can I check before paying deposit and giving credit card number? Any reviews about Make Tracks Walking Holiday?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,354 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can i check a travel office operating in Scotland?

The WHOIS details for maketracks.net show that domain was registered to Douglas Stewart in 2004. Hosted by Clara.net which is a respected UK business ISP.

Companies House, the UK government company registration authority, has a Make Tracks Ltd company SC193870 registered at that address since 1999 and Douglas Stewart is or has been a director.

However their website doesn't show any ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents) registration, which I think is required if they are offering a package holiday with both transport and accommodation.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can i check a travel office operating in Scotland?

I can't comment on 'Make Tracks' but WalkHighlands is an invaluable source of information about the stages of the WHW, and they have a page where they list a few other companies

walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/west-highland…

(Yes I realise these companies are no doubt paying for the privilege but nonetheless there are alternatives.)

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How can i check a travel office operating in Scotland?

<<However their website doesn't show any ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents) registration, which I think is required if they are offering a package holiday with both transport and accommodation.>>

It isn't - there are other ways of providing the necessary protection that are more appropriate to smaller organisations

http://www.ipplondon.co.uk/ is one example

Edited: 19 November 2013, 07:46
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,006 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How can i check a travel office operating in Scotland?

Make Tracks is mentioned in reviews of the WHW

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186535-…

Poland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How can i check a travel office operating in Scotland?

Thank all of you,

I have to change my travel-plan. But Mr Douglas Stewart from Make Tracks made a great work on-line for me, he gave me a lot of very usefull informations in a professional way, so I will use this travel office in the future. Thank Mr Douglas!!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How can i check a travel office operating in Scotland?

Thank you Izabella. I've just noticed this thread (don't read TripAdvisor often enough. A pity you couldn't make the trip. I'm sure you would have loved it. And the person who said that ABTA membership is required for this type of trip was talking nonsense. That would only apply if we were also organising your flights from Poland.

Hope you can make it to Scotland some other time. Dougie Stewart

7. Re: How can i check a travel office operating in Scotland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 04:23