We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car type for a 4 day journey

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
58 posts
405 reviews
Save Topic
Car type for a 4 day journey

Hello everyone!

We are planning a 4 day trip to Scotland and would like to hire a car. We are only two people travelling together so the question is: would a kia picanto work for a journey through the Highlands, Isle of Skye and Fort William? It is a 1.2. Or would you suggest a bigger one like a Focus (which is 1.4)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car type for a 4 day journey

The Kia is really a city car, not sure how comfortable it will be on long journeys, and the cheaper models are under-powered

whatcar.com/car-reviews/…25770-5

I've hired a Ford Focus in Europe, and it's a little bit larger and a lot more comfortable.

Wait to hear what others say, though.

London
Level Contributor
9,852 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car type for a 4 day journey

The very smallest cars (such as a Picanto) are perfectly capable of getting to Skye - but your journey won't be quick. Also bear in mind that this size of car has very limited luggage space. Depending on how much baggage you'll have, you might have to put your bags on the back seat.

A Focus size will make for a more comfortable (and quicker) journey.

The car companies show an example model - you'lll get that or a car that is equivalent - but there is never a guarantee that you'd get the precise model (or engine size) that they show on the website.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car type for a 4 day journey

I was about to respond in exactly the same terms. The Kia is great as a city runabout, and is just about big enough for two, but I would prefer a Focus or similar for any sort of longer run, especially if I had any amount of luggage beyond a couple of overnight bags.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,769 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car type for a 4 day journey

My mum has a Kia Picanto and they are really tiny and not suitable for long travel. Something like a Vauxhaul corsa would be ok for two people plus bags

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
58 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car type for a 4 day journey

Thank you all for your suggestions. It is likely we won't be bringing any luggage other than a couple of small bags (the kind you can fit for low cost flights).

It will be a long run as we depart from Edinburgh off to Inverness, Isle of Skye, Fort William and then again Edinburgh (we won't use the car in Edinburgh itself) so we might consider taking the Focus or similar.

I had also considered the picanto (or similar) in the first place for being the cheapest with automatic transmission.

Thank you again for your help, any comment is appreciated

6. Re: Car type for a 4 day journey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 06:18