We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luss to Portree via Glencoe

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
681 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Luss to Portree via Glencoe

I'd like some opinions about a day's travel during a two week trip to Scotland this June.

On the segment driving from Luss to Mallaig (then on via ferry to Portree) ....we want to see Stalker Castle and the prettiest parts of Glencoe. We are "up in the air" about Oban....probably could skip it. This will be a fairly long day as we need to get from Luss to our B&B in Portree by day's end. So.....

Which would be more picturesque: The "overland route" via A82, through Glencoe, then dropping down to Stalker Castle before continuing on to Mallaig, etc, or the route via A85 and A828, skirting Oban to see Stalker Castle then proceeding to Glencoe, and subsequently to Mallaig.

First of all, is this even do-able in one day? If so, which route would be more visually rewarding? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Luss
Luss
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
Airth Castle & Hotel
Airth Castle & Hotel
2,172 Reviews
Airth, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
B+B Edinburgh
B+B Edinburgh
772 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,396 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luss to Portree via Glencoe

That is a heck of a long day and I would definitely skip Oban ( I would go for the A82 and detour back to Stalker Castle if time permits). The road from Fort William (Glen Nevis is also worth a drive down) to Mallaig is also visually rewarding with Glenfinnan, Arisaig and Morar on the way (leave extra time to take the old coastal road from Arisaig to Morar as it's a beautiful coastline with great beaches (if you have ever seen the movie Local Hero then the coastal scenes were filmed here).

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Glen Nevis Restaurant & Bar
Glen Nevis Restaurant...
415 Reviews
Fort William, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Glenfinnan
Glenfinnan
Lochaber, UK
Arisaig
Arisaig
Scottish Highlands, UK
Morar
Morar
Mallaig, UK
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
681 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luss to Portree via Glencoe

Thanks. This is what I thought might be best. If we find that time is short as we get into the Glencoe area we can skip Castle Stalker and head on to Mallaig. We originally planned to overnight in Glencoe, but in an effort to add a day to Skye we changed our plans to do the Luss to Portree trip in a single day. I hope that wasn't a big mistake....it's not too late to change our plans, but I hate to do it at the expense of a day in Skye.

Mentioned in this post
The Glencoe Inn
The Glencoe Inn
672 Reviews
Glencoe Village, UK
Castle Stalker
Castle Stalker
225 Reviews
Appin, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Luss
Luss
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,396 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luss to Portree via Glencoe

I would be tempted to skip Stalker Castle and spend more time getting from Glencoe to Mallaig. Although it's about an hour and a half if driving straight (Glencoe Viallage to Mallaig) without stops, there is so much to see on route or with a slight detour ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Airth Castle & Hotel
Airth Castle & Hotel
2,172 Reviews
Airth, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
681 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luss to Portree via Glencoe

OK. That sounds smart. We will skip Castle Stalker (we have other castles on our intinerary) and do as you say, including the old beach road. The last ferry leaves Mallaig at 1800 that time of year, so we will hopefully still get there from Luss in plenty of time with this intinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Castle Stalker
Castle Stalker
225 Reviews
Appin, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Luss
Luss
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,396 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luss to Portree via Glencoe

Here's a few snaps taken between Fort William and Mallaig to give you an idea flickr.com/photos/… if you have time take a drive down Glen Nevis (parts of Braveheart and Harry Potter (Quidditch Scenes) as well as other movies were filmed there) as it won't add much to your journey time.

Mentioned in this post
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Glen Nevis Restaurant & Bar
Glen Nevis Restaurant...
415 Reviews
Fort William, UK
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
681 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luss to Portree via Glencoe

OK, thanks.

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luss to Portree via Glencoe

Hi, I agree with goanjock above - I'd skip Castle Stalker. I saw the castle from a bus window and got a nice picture of it - but as Scottish castles go, I'd call it a minor one. Apparently it is a private residence, and only open to public a few times a yr.

Mentioned in this post
Castle Stalker
Castle Stalker
225 Reviews
Appin, UK
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
681 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luss to Portree via Glencoe

So just to reiterate, you think the segment of the drive to Glencoe from Luss on A82 lying above the point at which A85 and A82 converge (or diverge) is visually more appealing than heading west on A85 and traveling to Glencoe along Loch Linhee on A828? Beyond Glencoe our drive will be the same to Mallaig. It's the relatively short segment before that that I am still unclear about.

Is this route: http://goo.gl/maps/PrBVC

"scenically" better than this: http://goo.gl/maps/egjTe

I don't really care if one takes an hour longer than the other if the scenery is far prettier along the longer route.

Mentioned in this post
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Luss
Luss
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,396 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luss to Portree via Glencoe

The A82 would get my vote as the drive through Glencoe is one of my favourite views on the planet ;-) (In fact it is where I proposed to the now Mrs Jock many years ago :-) )

Mentioned in this post
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Libertyville...
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luss to Portree via Glencoe

Hi, I agree - you don't want to go all the way to Scotland, and not drive the A82 through Glencoe :)

I took the bus along the Loch Linhee route - it was very scenic along the loch, but not a must-see.

You'll pass Loch Lomond on the A82 - it is stunningly beautiful!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
371 Reviews
Scotland, UK