We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to Inverness w/3 and 5 year old- train or drive?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Edinburgh to Inverness w/3 and 5 year old- train or drive?

I'll be visiting Scotland for 2 weeks in May with my 3 and 5 year old boys. We plan to spend about 4 days in Edinburgh and then head to Inverness. We'll base there (approx 5 nights) for day trips. Since it will likely be me alone with the kids, I'm wondering if it would be better to take the train to Inveness and rent a car there? Or is navigating from the airport (we'd go back there for car pick up after our time in Edi) to Inverness pretty easy? Appreciate any advice!

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness w/3 and 5 year old- train or drive?

Did the train ride from Inverness to Edinburgh last summer, it's extremely beautiful. Got first class tickets at a snip too.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,966 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness w/3 and 5 year old- train or drive?

Navigating from the airport to Inverness is really easy and driving would also give you the option of stopping on route.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness w/3 and 5 year old- train or drive?

I'd take the train to Inverness. It's a lovely train ride and if your boys are at all like my nephews they will enjoy it. They can move around and there's lots to see. You can try and get one of the seats with a table so you can play games. You can get a rental car in town in Inverness. You don't have to go to the airport.

Pam

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness w/3 and 5 year old- train or drive?

It is a route that I have driven a lot and will be doing so this weekend and I prefer the car but with two youngsters I would recommend the train. More relaxing for you all.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness w/3 and 5 year old- train or drive?

Hi. There are pros and cons of each mode of transport. Train allows you to devote all your attention to entertaining your wee'uns and enjoying the views. They can play games and run around a little bit.

If you drive you can break the journey a bit and explore along the way.

It is easy to reach INV and EDI airports using public transport from their respective city centres (dedicated bus routes) and also via road.

It's up to you, really!

Abs :)

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness w/3 and 5 year old- train or drive?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'll work out our itinerary a bit more first. If we decide to make another home base after Inverness then we'll likely rent and retrun in Edi. But if we will return back to Edi then I might give the train a go.

7. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness w/3 and 5 year old- train or drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:19