We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks in September - Itinerary Ideas?

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Topic
2 Weeks in September - Itinerary Ideas?

We have 2 weeks to visit Scotland in September. We have Ryder Cup tickets on the 27th and a tee time at St. Andrews on the 29th. We will be arriving to and departing from Edinburgh, and renting a car after we leave Edinburgh to self-drive the rest of the trip.

Here is our initial thought:

24-28 Edinburgh

28-30 St. Andrews

30-02 Inverness

02-04 Skye

04-06 Oban

06-07 Edinburgh

..stopping along the drive at whatever we come across.

Is this an interesting itinerary? Are we hitting the best places? Are we missing anything we must see? Should we spend less/more time in any of these spots?

We're not museum goers, and one castle and one church will suffice. We like local culture, small shops, good food and beer, and golf.

We would prefer to stay in fewer places...so we don't have to unpack/pack so often...then take day trips around, but we're not sure of a good central location to do so, without having to drive all day long to get to things. Hence, the 2-3 days per area itinerary. If you have better ideas, please let us know!

Thanks so much!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks in September - Itinerary Ideas?

I'd skip Inverness and cut your last stay in Edinburgh down to 1 night since you've stayed there at the start of your trip.I'd have an extra night or two on Skye which would allow you to see a bit of the mainland north of Skye, such as Plockton and Applecross. I'd add a night or two to Oban. You could visit Mull and Iona from here and also the Glencoe area

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks in September - Itinerary Ideas?

In view of your interests, I'd skip Inverness and give yourselves more time on Skye and around Oban.

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks in September - Itinerary Ideas?

Yes, we plan only one last night in Edinburgh upon departure. Thank you for your input - we'll look into that. I'm glad there is an agreement about Inverness. I was wondering if that was a worthwhile stop.

Thank you so much!

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Weeks in September - Itinerary Ideas?

Great - in agreement with the other post. That is what we'll do!

Thanks!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Weeks in September - Itinerary Ideas?

There's nothing wrong with Inverness. It's a pleasant town to live in and handy for some nice countryside and good beaches. I'd not devote 2 nights of your holiday to it though

6. Re: 2 Weeks in September - Itinerary Ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 05:18