We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Again

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,314 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Help Again

Hi All

Need some travelling advice from the DE's or really anyone. I have clients that are going to be in Edinburgh early July/14. They wish to travel from Edinburgh to North York to visit the Moors. Is there any other option other than driving(which they do not want to do), or taking the Train. If Train would I be correct in saying its the East Coast Train. Second question. I believe the East Coast line goes into London and stops at St. Panreas, correct?? Third and final question. Any advice on hotels, mid range price say $150-$200CAD/night Double? Thanks.

Cheers

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Again

Yes, East Coast Trains go from Edinburgh to York, or it may be better for your clients to get off at Darlington, depending on which part of the National Park they want to visit. Either way, they will then need to pick up a hire car.

After York the trains continue to London Kings Cross.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Again

Agree with DHMellor. I've picked up a car from Darlington station to visit clients in North Yorkshire. Much easier than trying to negotiate the streets of York

Like to help on the hotel front, but we don't use C$ here so we have no idea how much that is. Hotels are priced in GB Pounds. Whereabouts are you looking to stay?

Edited: 10 January 2014, 18:35
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,314 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Again

Open to suggestions. Modest hotel. Basically for sleeping. Likely 90-125 GBP per nght. I'll suggest Darlington to them, and possibly a rental car.. Any advice there as far as accomadation. Sorry not familar with the area. All I was told is they want to Visit North York so they can see them Moors. Thanks again Knew I could count n you guys.

Cheers

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,355 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Again

Are you looking for hotels in Darlington or Edinburgh? Is that amount per room per night? Look at the Premier Inn chain, Holiday Inn Express or Travelinn. There are several of these in Edinburgh city centre. Basic, functional and clean. You generally get a king size bed with sometimes a rollaway sofa bed.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,314 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Again

Looking in Darlington as per suggestions above. . I've given them a few options in Edinburgh including the ones you suggested. And yes it is per night. Thanks

Cheers

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,355 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Again

In that case you should consider re-posting this on the Darlington forum

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g190728-i2208-Da…

Not many people in Scotland will be familiar with hotels in an English town

Also note that we have moors in abundance in Scotland ;))

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,314 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Again

good witch

Surprisingly I did know that. But my clients want to do the North York Moors. I'm just the guy doing all the work. I will take your advice and post there. For all your help, thanks

Cheers

8. Re: Help Again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:17