We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Day Itinerary??

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
4 Day Itinerary??

My wife and I will be in Europe in early June and would like to take a driving tour of Scotland on the way.

We will take the train to Edinburgh where we will arrive around 4 p.m.. We could spend a night in Edinburgh or take a bus to the airport, pick up the rental car, and take off, although we wouldn't want to go too far.

We have 5 nights and 4 full days before taking a 9 a.m. flight out of Edinburgh or Glasgow , whichever works best..

I would like suggestions on where to go and where to stay. We are not so concerned about touring castles but like viewing castles from the outside and are interested in seeing a variety of Scottish scenery (Loch Ness is not essential, or Inverness). We don't mind doing quite a bit (10+ hours) of driving if it provides a variety of scenery. Ideally we'd drive a few hours each day to our next hotel, then spend the remainder of the day checking out the town/village surrounding the hotel and maybe go out for a scenic drive before dinner. We like the ocean and scenic rocky coastlines.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

1. Re: 4 Day Itinerary??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 10:05
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Day Itinerary??

Have a look here for a range of sample itineraries for various interests. www.visitscotland.com/see-do/itineraries/

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Day Itinerary??

Thank you for your reply I have looked at that website and a number of other posts in Tripadvisor.

I realized this morning that I am asking too much. I will put together an itinerary in the next day or so and ask for feedback.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 14:50
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,483 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Day Itinerary??

Also remember that with busy roads for some miles outside the cities your progress on the first and last days will take some time. You need to get some way out before it quietens down.

You will find it difficult as the driver to see much of the scenery as you will be watching the twisting roads.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Day Itinerary??

A few years ago we used secret Scotland for driving routes in Scotland. They do a range of options and we basically used some of their tips and mixed them in with our own ideas. Aim to drive no more than 4 hours a day as you'll find it takes you longer than you think and when you factor in time to stop and stare time passes all too quickly! We love the single track, remote roads, but even the A roads are spectacular. The west coast is best for rugged coastal scenery. Have a look at the Secret Scotland offerings, many reviewed on TA, as they give local and knowledgable advice on routes and timings. They also give ideas of places to stay.

The route passing Loch Lomond then crossing the "Rest and be thankful" pass down to Loch Fyne is a lovely drive, unless it's thick fog or torrential rain! Cross Loch Linnhe at the Corinne ferry and take the very remote roads towards Mallaig for a really away from it all experience. Not for the faint hearted though! You could then take the Calmac to Skye, explore a bit of Skye then take the bridge back and head towards Edinburgh via Glen Garry. You'll get rugged coast and spectacular mountains.

Have fun planning.

Angie

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Day Itinerary??

I will close this thread and open one with a more appropriate title.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 22:38
Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Day Itinerary??

The previous post is in error and it would not let me edit it.

Thank you for the responses. I will attempt to be driving no more than 4 hours but I may have to make exceptions. I recently spent some time in New Zealand so I am comfortable with driving on the left hand side of the road but I expect Scottish roads are even more narrow than those in NZ.

I will research the route passing Loch Lomond to Skye. I will put together an itinerary including this route and post it for review.

8. Re: 4 Day Itinerary??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:18