We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 nights, 2 weird Canadians & 1 wee camper van

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
12 nights, 2 weird Canadians & 1 wee camper van

Hi from Vancouver Canada,

My 17 year old daughter & I (40 yr old mom) have rented a small camper van and plan to explore Ireland & Scotland in it. We have 12 nights / 13 days (April 9-21, 2014) in Scotland.

We are very easy going and don't necessarily feel the need to see / do everything. Ideally we would like wake up with the sun drive for a few hours to a new area & explore it for the day, overnight there ...rinse & repeat.

I have made things a bit more challenging due to a Groupon that I bought. Elite Falconry excursion that has to be utilized on a specific pre-booked date of our Scotland exploration. So we need to be in Kirkcaldy on the morning of the 7th day (it was the only date they had left.)

Anyhoooo, is this quasi itinerary realistic:

Day 1) Ferry from Belfast to Cairnryan

check out some historic sites in the Belfast area

-overnight Oban

Day 2 )

check out historic sites around Oban

meander up to Fort William

-overnight Fort William

Day 3)

Check out historic sites around Fort William

meander up to Loch Ness for a wee walk about

-overnight Loch Ness or push on to Inverness depending on the time /how we feel.

Day 4)

Inverness / Culloden

Check out historic sites around Inverness / Culloden

- overnight Inverness

Day 5)

Inverness/ Culloden

Check out historic sites around Inverness / Culloden

-overnight Inverness

Day 6)

Drive through Cairngorms National Park down to Kirkcaldy

-Overnight Kirkcaldy

Day 7)

Elite Falconry excursion

meander over to Stirling

-overnight Stirling

Day 8)

Visit Stirling Castle

-overnight Stirling area

Day 9)

check out area between Stirling & Edinburgh

-overnight somewhere between Stirling & Edinburgh

Day 10)

Drop off camper van in Edinburgh area

Day 10-12 explore Edinburgh (staying in hostel)

Day 13 morning flight to Dublin

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 nights, 2 weird Canadians & 1 wee camper van

I would suggest heading to Skye for a few days

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 nights, 2 weird Canadians & 1 wee camper van

If you haven't already found it, this site is great for finding campsites:

www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/calcdist.asp

http://motorhomefacts.com

has a very busy, mainly UK-based, forum, though you have to pay ten pounds to search or post messages!

I haven't gone through your itinerary, but don't overdo the distances. The roads aren't that fast, and you'll probably be going slower than a car would. Some of our most memorable times in Scotland were where we just pulled over at the side of the road and walked down to a river and let the children muck about in the river.. make sure you have spare time to just stop and look at things!

On these forums, people usually say that Loch Ness is not the most attractive or impressive loch to see. Just because its name is well known doesn't make it the best place you could go to. Personally I'd shift the Loch Ness/Inverness time more to other areas. But if you want to go, I'm sure it'll be fine!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 nights, 2 weird Canadians & 1 wee camper van

I'd stop rather than just driving through the Cairngorms area. Maybe shift one of your Inverness nights further south or you're missing out a beautiful part of the world. Perhaps Glen Coe instead of Fort William - it's not far away but somewhat more scenic.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 nights, 2 weird Canadians & 1 wee camper van

Thoroughly agree with edinem , you can't just drive through the area surrounding The Cairngorms!! There is a nice wee campsite at Coylumbridge(Rothiemurchus) with walks from the front door of your van.Beautiful scenery and things to do all around.

www.rothiemurchus.net

Lose an Inverness night and head south

www.visitcairngorms.com

Regards

Woody x

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 nights, 2 weird Canadians & 1 wee camper van

Are you saying that you have found a van hire company in Belfast that allows you to leave it in Edinburgh?

If so, please share the name of that company with us as I have never before come across one that even allows the vehicles on the ferry to the mainland UK, let alone leaving it there with Irish plates on. This could be useful info for others as the question often comes up and we always say it isnt allowed,.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 19:36
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 nights, 2 weird Canadians & 1 wee camper van

I did wonder about that.. it must be damned expensive.. youd' have to pay for a ferry journey back that you aren't using yourself...

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 nights, 2 weird Canadians & 1 wee camper van

Quite disappointed that OP has not come back to us with the name of the van hire people, so we can tell otehrs who ask ;-)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,435 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 nights, 2 weird Canadians & 1 wee camper van

I was going to ask that but deleted my post because it does say that the van has been rented. So I take it that the agreement had been made and this was possible.

If not - too late.

But give the lady a chance, its still only the following afternoon there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 nights, 2 weird Canadians & 1 wee camper van

Hi all. Thank you for the replies & sorry for the delayed response. The rental company name is Spaceship Camper Vans. Our rental starts in Dublin & ends in Edinburgh. Cost 35gbp +15gbp for insurance per night (we have it for 23 nights). There is a 200gbp charge for dropping it off at another depot...I had the 200gbp one way fee cancelled by sending a email to the company regarding another company (Wicked Campervans) that had a deal that cost less. (side note: the other company's vehicles are older & less desirable. Imo)

The ferry will cost 109gbp (one way) for the van & 2pple.

We are flying back to Dublin with Ryanair which is a hour flight that was 60 gbp for the 2 of us.

All in all Im very happy with the costs. We love road trips & the freedom that having a home on wheels allots us.

Cheers & thanks again for your input

Edited: 23 January 2014, 03:09
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 12 nights, 2 weird Canadians & 1 wee camper van

thanks for coming back!

Must say I have never heard of the company and never before come across an Irish company that will allow vehicles to go across to the UK and be left there to be collected. I hope it works out according to plan!!