We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with kids, 3 and 7. Ideas for trips?

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with kids, 3 and 7. Ideas for trips?

We are traveling to Scotland June 24th-July 8th. We fly in and out of Glasgow for a family member's graduation.

We have June 24th-July 1st to do whatever we like (thinking highlands and isle of skye) then Glasgow from the 1st-5th. And possibly Edinburgh from 5th-8th.

Wondering if this seems do-able? Would you rent a car for the first week or just take trains? I know my son wants to do the "Harry Potter" train from Ft. William to Mallaig but then unsure what we would do with our car or if we would need it for the Isle of Skye.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with kids, 3 and 7. Ideas for trips?

Hi and welcome.

So you have a week to tour the highlands and Skye? Fabulous. It's a great time of year, with long daylight hours. Scottish kids will be starting their summer vacation around that time, although English kids are still in school.

A loop from Glasgow up to Skye and Wester Ross would work well. I'm thinking a night near fort William, a couple on Skye, a couple in Wester Ross (Gairloch has loads for families), and one or two en route back south (Aviemore, Pitlochry).

You really need a car to make the most of it. Do a loop on the fort William - Mallaig line. The Jacobite train is expensive and doesn't offer any improvement on the fantastic views offered by the standard scotrail west highland line.

Sounds great!

Enjoy!

Abs :)

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with kids, 3 and 7. Ideas for trips?

Do you have your accommodation sorted for Glasgow? You will just catch the tail end of the Commonwealth Games so might find places scarce. And expensive.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with kids, 3 and 7. Ideas for trips?

I think you're a month out Williamnt, are the Commonwealth games not late Jul/early Aug?

I would definately hire a car, public transport can be very sparse in some rural areas i.e. Skye, leaving you very limited. It also saves a lot of hassle and may well add up cheaper than a lot of train fares.

As mentioned you can do a round trip on the W Highland train, or if one family member is less keen on the train they could drop you off at Ft William station and pick you up at Mallaig!

As for children's attractions, here in Glasgow I would recommend the Kelvingrove Museum, Riverside (Transport) Museum and maybe the Glasgow Science centre. All are ideal of kids. They might like a ride on the subway too.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with kids, 3 and 7. Ideas for trips?

The Commonwealth Games are the end of July to the start of August so you won't overlap with them at all!

The plans suggested above sound great. You could easily spend a few days in Edinburgh at the end of your trip - the Castle, museum of childhood, Dynamic Earth, play grounds at The Meadows and Princes Street gardens, National Museum, bus tours, the zoo have all gone down well with children of similar ages!

I wouldn't bring a hire car to Edinburgh - parking is very limited even at most central hotels and expensive where you can find it! The local buses are great and you could get the train or coach to/from Glasgow. It's only about 50min on the train.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with kids, 3 and 7. Ideas for trips?

My apologies. A Senior moment regarding dates.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with kids, 3 and 7. Ideas for trips?

Thank you all so much! This is great. Can you get the same experience driving from Fort William to Mallaig as you would taking a train. My son requested a stop at Loch Ness so we are thinking of doing the ferry to Isle of Skye and then going across the bridge? and over to loch ness which would just make the train seem extraneous.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

Any recommendations you love for places to stay outside of the cities?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with kids, 3 and 7. Ideas for trips?

Blair Drummond Safari Park, Edinburgh Zoo, to name a couple

8. Re: Traveling with kids, 3 and 7. Ideas for trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 05:21