We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow or Edinburgh for 2 nights in May?

Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
Glasgow or Edinburgh for 2 nights in May?

Hi guys, I'm looking to book a couple of nights in Scotland for the 20th May to 22nd May but I'm undecided where to stay. I have never been to Scotland before, the only problem is the hotel prices are so more dear in Edinburgh than Glasgow. I know Edinburgh has more historical attractions but I was thinking staying in Glasgow and get the train to Edinburgh which takes a hour. So what do you think I should do.

1. I need a room for 3 adults

2. Best restaurant or pub for a meal in Edinburgh or Glasgow

3. Better city to stay

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh for 2 nights in May?

What do you want to do when here - visiting what type of sight ( i.e. Museums, Castles etc) or shopping or eating and or drinking ?

Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh for 2 nights in May?

All we want to do is what you have mentioned

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh for 2 nights in May?

Edinburgh has a castle but both cities have museums. Glasgow is considered better for shopping, by whom I'm not sure as I honestly dont see much of a difference. Good pubs and restaurants in both cities.

If you can find an hotel which will sleep 3 adults in one room and is convenient for you then go for that, whichever city it may be in.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh for 2 nights in May?

Let's face it in two days you would not even scratch the surface of either city. Stay in one and enjoy it but come back and do the other city at a later date then post a trip report comparing the two!

I live in Edinburgh but like visiting Glasgow but my kids ( 28 and 30 ) love Glasgow.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh for 2 nights in May?

3 adults might be your limiting factor: many hotels are set up for 2 adults + child, not that many for 3 adults.

I'm surprised there's a big difference in Hotel prices midweek in May. But Edinburgh does have some spectacularly pricy places like the Balmoral or the Caledonian. Prices get a lot cheaper as you move away from the town centre, but that's no problem because buses are good.

6. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh for 2 nights in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 06:20