We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottish vacation July 2014

Eskilstuna, Sweden
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Scottish vacation July 2014

Hello,

We are spending 12 days in Scotland this July. We are going to the Inveraray Highland Games, and would love see as much of the country as possible. Should we rent a car or do tours? We are most interested in the scenery. Please advise any locations and information. Thanks!

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scottish vacation July 2014

It would not be a good idea to try to visit all of Scotland in 12 days. Let us know what interests you, and the sort of thing you would like to do and see, and I'm sure you'll get some good itinerary suggestions.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,391 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scottish vacation July 2014

Renting a car is a must to give yourselves freedom of choice but I await your interests before commenting further

Woody x

Eskilstuna, Sweden
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scottish vacation July 2014

Thanks! We would like to explore as much outdoor sights as possible. I definitely plan to visit Isle of Skye and explore the Highlands. We have reserved rooms in Glasgow at the start of our trip and Edinburgh before we depart. That gives us 7 open days to explore. We are looking to relax and take in amazing views.

Thanks again!

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,391 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scottish vacation July 2014

Give yourself 2/3 days on Skye. Then maybe head over towards Glencoe or head up the west coast, Gairloch, Poolewe, anywhere on the west is beautiful

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/nort…

Woody x

Eskilstuna, Sweden
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scottish vacation July 2014

Thank you so much! I am trying to find a car rental that I can pick up near Glasgow and drop off near Edinburgh. Would it be better to do do a tour and then pick up the St. Andrews Highland Games?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scottish vacation July 2014

"anywhere on the west is beautiful"

Don't forget about the east :-)

Eskilstuna, Sweden
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scottish vacation July 2014

I think we will spend most our time on the islands along the west coast. I'm having a hard time finding lodging for 2-3 nights at a time. Aside from Skye, which others visit?

Thanks so much!

8. Re: Scottish vacation July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 07:17