My wife and I are planning to visit London and Scotland in July. Below is a draft itinerary of our Scotland trip. I would appreciate some comments on it.
11/7/2014 (Fri) - Train from London, arrive at Waverley Station in Edinburgh by mid afternoon. Check in B&B.
12/7/2014 (Sat) - Whole day at Edinburgh.
13/7/2014 (Sun) - Collect rental car at Waverlay Station in morning, check out B&B and drive to Glencoe. On the way, stop by Stirling Castle and Callander, and detour to Glen Etive. After check in at B&B, if time permits, drive to Oban. Stay 3 nights at B&B at Glencoe
14/7/2014 (Mon) - Day trip to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park.
15/7/2014 (Tue) - Day trip to Isle of Skye. Drive to Mallaig via Fort William, and take Ferry to Armadale. Return to Glencoe via Skye Bridge. On the way, stop by Eilean Donan Castle and Fort William.
16/7/2014 (Wed) - Check out B&B and drive to Aviemore via Inverness. On the way, drive along Loch Ness and stop by Urquhart Castle and Inverness. Check in B&B at Aviemore, and stay 2 nights.
17/7/2014 (Thu) - Whole day explore Cairngorms Nation Park.
18/7/2014 (Fri) - Check out B&B and drive to Edinburgh. On the way, stop by Pitlochry and Dunkeld. Return car at Waverley Station in Edinburgh.
19/7/2014 (Sat) - Morning explore Edinburgh. After lunch, check out B&B and get to airport.
In addition, I have some questions:
(1) My wife wanted to visit Duncansby Head, but it's way up north. It's hard to fit into our itinerary. How long does it take to drive from Inverness to Duncansby Head and back? Looks like it will take like 4 hours total. It doesn't seem worthwhile to drive all the way there just to see a cliff. What is your opinion on this?
(2) I left out Glasgow because it doesn't seem appealing to me. We like scenery and historical buildings like castles, but not so much into arts and museums. Glasgow doesn't seem to offer much to what we like. Are we missing anything?
(3) Are there mountains (like Ben Nevis) where we can actually take a cable car or train up to the top? We did so before in France and Switzerland, and my wife would love to do it again.
(4) On the way back to Edinburgh on 18/7/2014 (Fri), possibly late afternoon, would we have a problem with the rush hour? Is it wise to hold on to the car until our last day, and return it at the airport?
(5) Which car rental companies offer competitive rates? I have checked Enterprise and EuropCar, and the latter seems so much more expensive (like 100% more).
Thanks in advance!